Your guide to the awesome films premiering in May

May is finally upon us: the semester is coming to a close and summer is fast approaching.

It’s an exciting time of year, and the films being released this month certainly reflect that excitement.

There are more promising releases this month than not, so rather than include films you shouldn’t see, I’m devoting this month’s edition to the wide range of awesome films coming to a theatre near you:

The Avengers: Age of Ultron” (May 1)

This film will likely be the biggest release of the summer, despite its early release. I’m not going to spend an enormous amount of time here, as almost everyone is excited about this movie.

It looks immensely entertaining, and seems to have much darker themes than the first “Avengers” film, taking things to the next level for our favorite superhero team.

Mad Max: Fury Road” (May 15)

Looking for pure, unadulterated action? Look no further than “Mad Max: Fury Road”.

Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult explode onto the screen, accompanied by another show-stopping star: CGI.

In all seriousness, though, this post-apocalyptic film is going to be quite the spectacle.

Spy” (May 22)

This film hasn’t been marketed all that well, which doesn’t bode well for its box office numbers, particularly during this high volume month.

The being said, “Spy” could prove to be a great comedy. Melissa McCarthy stars as an inexperienced spy going undercover for her first mission.

Jude Law, Allison Janney and Jason Statham all co-star with director Paul Feig (“Bridesmaids” and “The Heat”) at the helm.

Maggie” (May 22)

Zombie culture has been evolving to become more sophisticated and complex in recent years (see “iZombie,” “Warm Bodies,” etc.). We are now seeing a trend of the classic monster becoming more human.

“Maggie,” starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Abigail Breslin, posits that there could be a cure, as Schwarzenegger’s character desperately tries to protect his daughter, who is infected. It’s a fresh take, and should prove to be pretty interesting.

San Andreas” (May 29)

Will this film win any Oscars for acting? Is the plot going to be particularly innovative? Probably not but, oh, boy, does this disaster flick look like an awesome ride.

The CGI looks amazing, so, at the very least, it will be enjoyable to look at.

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson stars as a rescue pilot attempting to save his daughter as an intense earthquake threatens to pull California apart.

Aloha” (May 29)

Earth-shattering disasters not your thing? That’s okay.

Cameron Crowe, the director of “Jerry Maguire,” is releasing a new film this month that features a star-studded cast.

Bradley Cooper plays a military contractor who returns to Hawaii, where he had previously been stationed. Naturally, he meets up with an old flame (Rachel McAdams) and simultaneously begins to fall for an Air Force pilot (Emma Stone).

It’s a classic love triangle, but with a great supporting cast including  John Krasinski, Alec Baldwin and Bill Murray, it could be a unique gem of a film.

Collegian A&E Writer Aubrey Shanahan can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @aubs926.