March movies: what to see and what not to see

March is finally upon us, and with it comes some exciting new theatrical releases, as well as some mediocre ones. Here’s a guide to help you choose what to see and not to see this month.

What to see:

Chappie” (March 6)

From the director of “District 9, Neill Blomkamp, “Chappie” follows the story of a rejected police robot who is transformed into a sentient being. While Blomkamp’s most recent film, “Elysium,” was not a success, “Chappie” looks as though it will redeem the director. With its innovative storyline packed with both action and heart, this film has a real chance at captivating audiences from diverse demographics.

Home Sweet Hell” (March 13)

“Home Sweet Hell” is going to be one wild ride of a film.

Katherine Heigl and Patrick Wilson star as a married couple who get into trouble when Heigl’s character finds out her husband has been having an affair with a salesgirl and kills her. It’s an indulgent, campy romp that looks like it will be a lot of fun. If you’re looking for something new and different, this film surely won’t disappoint.

While We’re Young” (March 27)

Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts star in this comedy about a married couple who befriends a much younger, carefree couple in their twenties.

Stiller’s recent turn as Walter Mitty and Watts’ starring role in “Birdman” were both incredible, making me hopeful that they were able to collaborate on something meaningful and hilarious. “While We’re Young” likely won’t be a box office hit, but it could make for a memorable film.

For those interested in nonfiction:

Documentaries are not for everyone, but there are two exciting non-fiction releases this month.

A Year in Champagne,” coming March 6 to the Alamo Draft House in Littleton, provides an in-depth look at, and celebration of, the region of Champagne, as well as the struggle to sustain the industry in the face of many challenges.

The Wrecking Crew” has a limited release as well, but will be playing at the Boulder Film Festival March 5 and at The Mayan Theatre March 13.

I have not been this excited about a documentary in a long time. It follows the group of musicians called The Wrecking Crew, who were responsible for a remarkable amount of famous recordings in the 60s. The crew worked with artists like Sonny and Cher, The Monkees, The Beach Boys and Frank Sinatra. This documentary promises to be a fascinating account of these talented and under-appreciated musicians.

What not to see:

Unfinished Business” (March 6)

Someone needs to stop Vince Vaughn. The trailer brings a couple of laughs, but like Vaughn’s other films, those are probably all the laughs you’re going to get.

“Unfinished Business” is a film that’s trying too hard and will likely be full of the same tired gags we have grown accustomed to in these formulaic buddy comedies.

Get Hard” (March 27)

I love Will Ferrell. I think even some of his silliest comedies are entertaining. But “Get Hard” looks to be a serious low in his career.

Again, it falls into the same genre of buddy comedy as “Unfinished Business,” but looks even worse. Racist jokes and harmful stereotypes abound here, and are even mentioned in the trailer. Definitely take a pass on this film.

Collegian A&E Writer Aubrey Shanahan can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @aubs926.