Last minute to-dos for CSU grads

Graduation looms just around the corner, and for Colorado State University seniors who feel overwhelmed, this list of last-minute graduation to-dos can serve as a helpful survival guide.

1. Order your cap and gown. If you haven’t done this already, now is the time. The CSU Alumni Association offers various grad packs, each ranging in price and perks. For a Bachelor’s degree, prices range from $39 to $750. The deadline to order is April 8. If these grad packs seem a bit too pricey, you can order the cap and gown without a grad pack at the Herff Jones website, where prices start at around $30. The deadline to order from this site is April 9.
  1. Know the date, time and place of your graduation. This seems simple enough, but it’s important to let your friends and family know exactly where to go. Some venues have larger seating possibilities than others, so double-check where you need to be and how many people you can bring on the commencement website.
  1. Research the rules of the ceremony. There are steps, requirements and expectations at graduation ceremonies, including what to wear and how to wear it.
  1. Book hotels. For those of you with out-of-state parents, family and friends coming to stay for graduation, find them a place to stay. Hotels are booking up fast, so if you don’t have enough room in your current home, you’ll need to act quickly. If you can’t find a hotel in Fort Collins, alternative options include couch surfing or hotels in nearby towns.
  1. Order your class ring. If you want to order a ring to remember your time spent at CSU, Balfour has a wide selection of special rings for graduation. The site offers rings for men and women in a variety of prices, stones and settings.
  1. Utilize the Career Center. CSU’s Career Center is a helpful resource for those looking to start their careers. If you’re not sure what you want to do with your degree, the center has assessments to specify what you’re good at and where you’d fit best. To take one of these assessments, schedule a meeting with a career counselor. Another helpful tool CSU offers is CareerRAM, a search engine that connects students and alumni with employers. CareerRAM posts internships, on-campus interviews, career events and more.
  1. Attend a career fair. Career fairs at CSU bring together dozens of employers, companies and students, offering them a chance to mingle and pursue potential career paths. The next job and internship fair will take place April 1, from 4:30- 7 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Grand Ballroom.

Graduation can be a scary time, but this list will make it easier to remember what to do, and will help the time around graduation run a little bit smoother.

Collegian A&E Writer Caitlyn Berman can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @CaitlynBerman.