Top five commercials of Super Bowl XLIX

The Super Bowl is probably the only time of the year when commercials are not only watched by viewers, but prioritized.

According to Forbes Magazine, the price of airing a single 30 second spot during the broadcast was $4.5 million this year.

Needless to say, companies put their best work forward for an audience that actually cares about their message, if only briefly. These companies are competing just as hard as the football players to leave a lasting impression on viewers.

Here are the Collegian‘s top five picks:

1. Snickers – Brady Bunch

The plot: The old Snickers gag line, “You’re not you when you’re hungry,” intrudes onto the classic “Brady Bunch” sitcom in this commercial.

Marcia Brady is upset that a football ruined her nose for a big dance, but the seamless editing inserts “Sons of Anarchy” actor Danny Trejo into her role. Now, anyone can cut a scene with a new actor, but the real magic happens when mother Carol Brady says, “Marsha, eat a Snickers. You get a little hostile when you’re hungry.”

BONUS: At the end we get a comical Steve Buscemi having a classic “Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!” tantrum.

The verdict: With a classic punchline and plot, this Snickers commercial hit just the right spot for audiences of all ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UO2A2p-19A

2. Budweiser – Lost Dog

Plot: After last year’s wildly popular “Puppy Love,” Budweiser gives us a sequel with “Lost Dog.”

Starring the famous Clydesdale horse and his energetic Labrador companion, we go through a puppy’s journey home after being separated from his owner. With a tense showdown and a stable break out, this commercial had viewers rooting for the lovable puppy, horse and maybe even the brand they sponsor — Budweiser.

Verdict: A handsome rancher, a trusty steed, a happy pup and a good deed? Such levels of adorableness will always be favored by audiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsjRRMMg_Q

3. Fiat – Pill

Plot: This Fiat commercial traces the path of a little blue pill after an amorous Italian man pops the pill not into his mouth, but out of the window behind him.

We follow it out the window and bounce with it through the neighborhood until it finally makes its way into a Fiat 500. The mini car immediately grows into a four-door Fiat 500X and gets appreciative looks from ladies for its size and power.

Innuendos abound.

Verdict: Appropriate for its market audience, this commercial manages to capture attention while still staying tasteful and playful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAcLViTHDOo

4. Doritos – Middle Seat

Plot: A man sits on an airplane next to an empty middle seat, and is on a mission to keep it for himself.

We get to see a hilarious string of ploys he uses to keep people away —pretending to be sick, clipping his toenails, etc. — until he catches the eye of an attractive blonde coming up the aisle. He then pulls out a bag of Doritos to attract her in. He’s successful, but unfortunately, she has a child, and spends the whole flight sleeping, anyway.

Good try, dude.

Premise: The message is clear and the character is relatable. The only thing the commercial was lacking was the classic money shot of the Dorito going into his mouth for that satisfying “crunch.”

5. Skittles – Settle It

Plot: In a town of die-hard Skittles lovers, a battle over the last lemon Skittle is settled “the usual way.”

As the word passes through the town, we see that everyone — including women, babies and dogs — in this town is very muscular, but only in their right arm. That’s because settling Skittles debates “the usual way” means an arm wrestling contest.

Verdict: Surprising and funny, this commercial will have audiences reaching for those bags of Skittles — just be careful to share without resorting to “the usual way.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDwRN2GBUj8

Collegian A&E Writer Sierra Cymes can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @sierra_cymes.