Collegian Cooks: The prolific pig

It’s not Easter yet, Christmas is gone and past and any hope for a Thanksgiving meal in February is just sad. Most of us college students depend on the comforts of the holidays to get nice, festively cooked food and, more importantly, leftovers.

But there is no need to wait for the holidays and or the parents to cook up a nice fancy dinner. To this end, the pig is our savior. Whether it is pork chops or a glazed ham, the versatility and forgiving nature of the meat bodes well for easy college cooking.

Here are two recipes that will hopefully evoke that prolific feeling of home and comfort:

Glazed pineapple ham:

What you will need:

• One ham
  • Hand full of cloves
  • Around one to two cups of brown sugar
  • One can of crushed pineapples
  • A tad bit of honey
  • One stick of butter
Collegian Cook, Skyler Leonard, carves up a ham after waiting patiently for two hours as it cooked in the oven, only removing it from the hot box to apply layers of glaze. (Photo: Lawrence Lam)

Step one: Take your ham out of it’s packaging then begin to scorch the ham with a knife, cutting in a checkered pattern. Make sure to preheat your oven at this point as well, to 325 degrees.

Step two: Place cloves at the intersection of the scorch marks spreading them equally on the ham. Once this is done place your ham in a roasting pan and start baking.

Step three: Add the crushed pineapple, brown sugar and honey into a pot on low heat and stir. Then begin to add pats of butter to let the glaze thicken. make sure to taste the glaze and add flavors when needed. Also it’s just really sweet and fattening so taste even if it doesn’t need anything.

Step four: Once the glaze has thickened to a syrup consistency, remove ham from oven and glaze every beautiful inch of it using a spoon or brush. Place back in the oven and repeat process every 20 minutes until ham is done.

Pork chops:

Collegian Cooks, Lawrence Lam and Skyler Leonard, prepare a zesty marinade with lemon, thyme and basil for lightly breaded pork chops. (Photo: Lawrence Lam)

What you will need:

• Pork chops
  • Salt and pepper
  • Juice from two lemons
  • Thyme and basil
  • Flour to cover said pork chops
  • small amount of vegetable oil

Step one: Place your pork chops on a baking sheet and salt and pepper both sides. Then add chopped basil and thyme to the top of the chops. Cut lemons and squeeze juice over each slice. When finished wrap them in plastic and place in the fridge to marinade for 20-30 minutes.

Step two: Heat a skillet with oil and get a plate covered in flour ready for the pork chops.

Step three: Once your skillet is hot enough place one pork shop at a time into the flour. Drench both sides and then gently place the chop into the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides or until golden brown and ready for dinner.

Collegian Chefs Lawrence Lam and Skyler Leonard can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.