Q&A: Annual fine art photography exhibition lands in Fort Collins

A picture is worth a thousand words, and the exhibition Portraits 2015 with Juror Debra Klomp Ching at the Center for Fine Art Photography in Fort Collins aims to capture as many people’s stories as possible in a series of single images.

A photo by Niki Grangruth and James Kinser from the "Portraits 2015" exhibition at the Center for Fine Art Photography
A photo entitled “Olympia (after Manet)” by Niki Grangruth and James Kinser from the “Portraits 2015” exhibition at the Center for Fine Art Photography.

The exhibit began Saturday and will continue through to Feb. 21, with a Feb. 6 reception from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. The gallery, located on 400 N College Ave, is closed Sundays and Mondays, open Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

According to the event page on the Center’s website, Ching is the owner and director of the Klompching Gallery in New York, founded in 2007. The Association of International Photography Art Dealers-recognized gallery specializes in contemporary fine arts photography.

Ching is also a consultant for collectors and photographers, an adviser to the Center, adjunct faculty at the School of Visual Arts in New York and a photo editor for At Length Magazine.

As part of this preview for Portraits 2015, Executive Director of the Center for Fine Art Photography Hamidah Glasgow sat down for an interview with the Collegian.

Q: What inspires you to do the work that you do in the field of photography?

A: I am fortunate to have the experience of working with many talented artists and jurors. As each show is selected and then the work arrives here at the Center, I am constantly enthralled with each new exhibition.

Q: How is Portraits 2015 different from anything else you have ever worked with?

A: What is different about each exhibition is the artist’s work. Artists have ways in which they see the world that constantly inspires and humbles me.

This Portraits show is similar as earlier versions in that the humanity experienced is a broad range of people, expresssions and varying emotional states from sadness to joy.

This show is different because the work is different and a new group of talented artists brings with it a whole new set of emotions, questions and experiences.

Q: What can people expect to take away from the experience of coming to see Portraits 2015?

A: The juror, Debra Klomp Ching, has selected an eclectic mix of portraits that allow visitors to be wowed, and, I hope, return again and again to experience the work in new ways each visit.

Collegian A&E Writer Hunter Goddard can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @hunter_gaga.