Totally 80’s Pizza brings an unfamiliar blast from the past

This article is a replacement of a previous review that contained some reporting discrepancies that did not meet the Collegian’s standards of journalism. 

Totally 80’s Pizza isn’t totally on the mark.

When you first walk into the little pizza joint located on College Avenue, you are accosted by bright white-washed walls completely covered in frames of various sizes. A display case adorned in silver sparkling cloth houses a Michael Jackson dummy and televisions in the corners play ’80s music videos on loop.

Local resident Mariah Martin waits for her order surrounded by 80's decor and a frozen Han Solo sculpture behind her at Totally 80's Pizza. (Photo credit: Sarah Fish)
Local resident Mariah Martin waits for her order surrounded by ’80s decor and a frozen Han Solo sculpture behind her at Totally 80’s Pizza. (Photo credit: Sarah Fish)

The pizza place, which opened Oct. 1, had been a dream of the owner’s for nearly a decade.

Being in the restaurant for just few minutes, it was evident that it was more of a family-friendly establishment rather than a place for college kids to hang out. It was hard to relate to theme, as it wasn’t something I was familiar with.

I, like many other college kids in this town, grew up in the ’90s, so it was a place more fit for all of the middle-aged mothers who brought their kids.

It was hard to get into the ’80s theme because the only thing that reminded me of the ’80s were the decorations on the wall. It didn’t create an atmosphere, it just created decoration. Nothing else in the restaurant reminded me of the ’80s; not the uniforms, not the furniture, not even the pizza theme.

Nothing made me feel like I was being transported back to a time of neon tights and leg warmers.

Pizza didn’t really fit the theme of ’80s either (I was expecting more of an old-time diner). However, they are making good pizza.

You can get a personal pizza, a medium or a large and have a wide variety of toppings and specialty pizzas to choose from. They also have chicken wings and a salad bar for patrons.

Just wanting to keep it simple, I ordered a pepperoni and black olive personal pizza, and it was delicious. The crust was fluffy, but crispy, and it tasted like a homemade pizza that mom would have taken out of the oven. It was comforting and enjoyable — not the best I’ve ever had, but it was good. I didn’t find anything extraordinary about it, which in a foodie town like Fort Collins, is basically a requirement.

Though if I were to go back, I would like to try one of their infamous specialty pizzas. Employee Amanda Malnopsky said that their 80’s Supreme pizza and the Maui pizza are their most popular items.

“We put a lot into our customers having a good time, but our stock is in pizza so we make sure that we have a good one,” Malnopsky said.

Overall, it was a decent place for a pizza. However, it wasn’t anything that drew me in. It is a restaurant more fit for a middle aged, residential crowd, rather than a college town.

Collegian A&E Assistant Editor Taylor Pettaway can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @TaylorPettaway.