The woes of winter at Colorado State University

Katie Schmidt

ram-rumble

Please refresh the page if Tweets do not display properly.

In elementary school, everyone looked forward to a snow day spent building snowmen, sipping hot chocolate and binge-watching cartoons (kind of like the plot of The Snowman).

In college, the sight of snow creates dread on campus. Here’s why snowy days are the absolute worst.

Geese

When cold weather comes along, so do the geese. Walking to class becomes an obstacle course of avoiding the goose poop land mines.

Inconsistent temperatures

You may be bundled up for the chilly weather, but chances are your classroom will be boiling hot (yes, I am talking about you, Shepardson).

Parking lot

Not only do you have to defrost the car and drive on icy roads, you also have to deal with full parking lots. Everyone drives to campus on the snowy days, but there are especially fewer parking spots because people double park (you don’t need 4 feet between you and the other car, buddy).

No cancelled class

Two feet of snow on the ground? Doesn’t matter! Don’t hold your breath for the University to cancel class, and if that happens, it’s always after 3 p.m.

Slippery sidewalks

Grounds maintinence supervisor Rodney Gillespie uses a snow broom to clear snow in front of the Acedemic Village Tuesday afternoon. Various groups on campus, including CSU's ROTC program, shovel snow at the crack of dawn to clear the way for the tens of thousands who work and study at the university.
Grounds maintinence supervisor Rodney Gillespie uses a snow broom to clear snow in front of the Acedemic Village Tuesday afternoon. Various groups on campus, including CSU’s ROTC program, shovel snow at the crack of dawn to clear the way for the tens of thousands who work and study at the university.

If slippery sidewalks was an Olympic sport, Colorado State University would win the gold medal. The sidewalks are always icy, plus there are slippery puddles in building entrances (case in point: the Lory Student Center entrance flooded). Hope you have good balance.

Long lines at coffee shops

Everyone knows chilly weather calls for a hot beverage. However, you’re not the only one jonesing to warm up with a Chai latte. Be prepared for long lines at your favorite coffee shop. Not only that, even more people will be eating at the LSC rather that trekking off campus for lunch.

Walnut cinnamon coffee cake with chai latte
Walnut cinnamon coffee cake with chai latte (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Gifs courtesy of Giphy.

Collegian Interactive News Team Member Katie Schmidt can be reached at socialmedia@collegian.com or on Twitter @KatieDSchmidt.