Fall break: The pros and cons

As the semester comes to a close, Rams are prepping for Thanksgiving. Some hop in a plane or car to join their families, while others celebrate right here in Fort Collins with families made from friends.

It is the beginning of the holiday season and a much-needed break from homework and seemingly never-ending exams. While everyone can use the time away from school, there are some definite drawbacks to having an entire week off during this crucial time of the year.

Here are some pros and cons to CSU’s fall (Thanksgiving) break:

Pro: 

Getting to spend a whole week with people you love and care about. Especially for out of state students, it’s a time to reconnect with family that they don’t get to see often.

Con:

You have to spend the week with family. If you’re at home with immediate and extended family, it can be great, but it can also be enough to drive someone crazy. There’s a reason that the media often portrays Thanksgiving through dysfunctional, arguing families.

Pro:

Sometimes it can really feel like the fall semester drags on, and by November it’s pretty easy to feel overloaded with reading, studying, taking exams and finishing homework. Having a full week off allows you to recharge before taking on finals.

Con:

Because the break is an entire week, it can easily take away focus and drive. While it can be hard to keep up motivation for the entire semester, having so much time off makes it a lot easier to lose that motivation altogether.

Pro:

You can take the time to study for the classes that matter most. Oftentimes, hectic schedules make it difficult to focus classes that are more important. A long break lets you take the time you need to study for any classes you’ve been struggling with.

Con:

It is a lot easier to forget material that needs regular practice. Math, science and languages are always best practiced and used on a regular basis, and a week off can make it much harder to go back to these subjects.

Pro:

Sleep. Sleep is perhaps the most important pro on the list. With school, work and social activities, it can be hard to get the proper amount of rest. This week-long break can help fix a messed up sleep schedule so that you’re on track for finals.

If break was any shorter, we would lose time with family, travel would be much more difficult to deal with and there wouldn’t be enough time to catch up on the most demanding classes.

Let’s face it, the pros absolutely outweigh the cons. Having a break this long so close to the end of the semester produces some challenges, but if you can keep motivated, it is a great way to enjoy your loved ones and take a breather from the fast-paced environment of school.

Happy Thanksgiving, Rams, and enjoy your break.

Collegian A&E Writer Aubrey Shanahan can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @aubs926.