Halloween survival kit

ram-rumble

The spookiest part of the year is just about to arrive. Halloween is Friday, and as young adults, Halloween gives us a lot of options. If you weren’t quite sure how to go about the holiday this year, check out this survival kit to get you through.

A staple of Halloween is the viewing of horror movies. Whether you’re looking for something a little avant garde, or if you are looking for a classic, we have you covered.

Underrated Horror Films

“Bride of Frankenstein”

On Halloween, “it’s a perfect night for mystery and horror. The air itself is filled with monsters.” This classic monster movie evokes Christ-like images and questions the ethics of resurrecting the dead. A sequel to the original Frankenstein film, this film witnesses the marriage of the Monster to another creature of the dead.

“Rear Window”

Not a fan of scary movies? This Alfred Hitchcock classic may be more to your liking. Jimmy Stewart plays a stir-crazy photographer bound to his apartment after breaking his leg. While snooping on the neighborhood, he notices suspicious activity across the street. Stewart and Grace Kelly’s characters investigate the potential murder of a neighbor.

“Young Frankenstein”

If you’re in the mood for a comedy, this film is the perfect choice. Mel Brooks puts a satirical spin on the classic Frankenstein films. Gene Wilder plays the grandson of Dr. Frankenstein and attempts to recreate his grandfather’s experiment.

“You’re Next”

This is not your typical horror film. The movie is only an hour and a half long and there is more action packed in that time than in most mainstream horror films. Masked killers terrorize a family in the middle of the woods, it seems like a typical slasher film, but there are plot twists around every corner.

“V/H/S/2”

The “V/H/S” franchise has captured the hearts of horror lovers. The movies are a series of shorts that you wouldn’t want to watch alone. “V/H/S/2” is by far more terrifying than the first movie, and the best part is that you don’t need to watch the first to jump straight to the second. If you are looking to be terrified on Halloween, this is the movie for you.

Classic Horror Films

“Carrie”

A creepy tale based off of the Stephen King Novel, “Carrie” follows a mousy misfit in high school as she realizes she possesses telekinetic abilities. The film is unnerving, from the crazy, fundamentally religious mother to the iconic prom scene, and it serves as a staple for Halloween film viewing.

“The Texas Chain Saw Massacre”

http://youtu.be/eY4ldz615FA

A classic horror film featuring a killer with a chain saw and cannibals. What more could you ask for on Halloween night?

“The Shining”

With iconic moments such as Jack Nicholson’s crazed “Here’s Johnny” scene, or the two blood spattered girls in the long hotel hallway, this film is a psychological creep fest. Another movie based off of a Stephen King novel, this film delivers scares throughout.

“The Exorcist”

It’s a lovely day for an exorcism: this classic and controversial horror film is still considered one of the most frightening horror films ever made. With a malevolent demon possessing an innocent child, the movie is a roller coaster of curse words, gross out moments and some pretty defining cinematic moments.

Albums for Halloween

“Leaves in the River” by Sea Wolf

This mellow indie rock album begins with the soft tapping of rain and the narration of a man who falls in love on Halloween. This album is perfectly suited for singer-songwriter fans and makes a perfect autumn playlist.

“Amen” by ∆AIMON

Lingering synthesizers, distorted vocals and an overall ominous mood. If you’re looking for some insanely dark music, this album from this witch house duo will create the perfect, unnerving atmosphere for your Halloween soundtrack.

“Furr” by Blitzen Trapper

This album is full of slow and dark songs. Eric Early’s vocals on “Black River Killer” are haunting and will definitely get you in the Halloween spirit.

“Too True” By Dum Dum Girls

This ’80s inspired indie rock album screams Halloween. With hauntingly sweet vocals with eerie guitar riffs, these girls create an album perfect for your Halloween playlist

“Monster Mash”

If this isn’t on your Halloween playlist then you are doing Halloween wrong.

How to pick the perfect Halloween costume

• If you’re an English major (or just a bookworm), dress up as what you read. You can put a spin on an author’s name (such as wearing scrubs for Dr. Seuss) or dress up as an iconic literary character.
  • Pick an obscure character from a movie or comic book. Just obscure enough so it isn’t chiche, but not so obscure that people don’t know who you are.
  • Find a clever group costume with your friends. Be Will Ferrell characters, or the Spice Girls.

Best places to get Halloween costumes

(Most of these places have a separate Halloween section)

What to do on halloween

• “Rocky Horror Picture Show” at the Lyric, 11 p.m.
  • Don’t want to go out or not 21 yet? Have a horror movie marathon with your friends
  • Go to the haunted (or unhaunted) corn maze
  • Enjoy a few drinks at the bars (If you are 21)

Have a great Halloween, Rams!

Collegian Interactive News Team can be reached at socialmedia@collegian.com.