Morgan’s Declassified Theatre Survival Guide

I’m here to do the impossible: help create a guide to help you get the best movie experience in Fort Collins. Morgan’s Declassified Theatre Survival Guide (results may vary).

Cinemark

Of the big four theatre chains in the U.S. (Regal Entertainment, Carmike, AMC, Cinemark), Cinemark is my favorite. Their theaters keep that old Hollywood elegance and style; meaning plenty of red seats and drapes, gold-encrusted everything, high ceilings and portraits of stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood. The Fort Collins Cinemark provides the best and most modern movie-going experience in the city. Cinemark regularly plays one classic film a week in addition to the modern selection, which is an awesome experience for any film buff. As another movie-going pillar, the Cimemark’s snacks are top-notch; they did something with their popcorn recently that just made it superior to anything else in Fort Collins. One downfall to this theater, however, is that it is the furthest away from campus of any on the list. Tickets are $8.75 for adults, $7 for students and $5.50 on Tuesdays.

4721 S. Timberline Rd.

Carmike 10

The Carmike 10 is the second major theatre in Fort Collins. I personally rank this as my least favorite theater asthetically; there is not much style to the place. The black seats and the bland lobby just seem to take away front the magic of going to see a movie. However, I go to this theater often because of its prime location next to campus. Also, since my dad was in the military, I get tickets 50 cents cheaper here than the Cinemark. Tickets are slightly more expensive for adults at $9.25 on the weekends, $7 for students and $5.50 on Tuesdays.

3636 Manhattan Ave.

AMC Cinema Saver

While the Carmike and the Cinemark theatres compete with the newest releases, the good old AMC Cinema Saver is here to cater to the people who do not want to spend too much on a movie or who have missed a film that is out of distribution. The AMC theatre usually plays two to three-month-old blockbusters (they are going through late May and June films now) for – wait for it – $2.50 for a 2D film during the day. You could buy two songs on iTunes for the same price as a movie at the AMC. The theatre keeps the old-fashioned feeling going, and with a Sony 4k projection, you won’t notice any difference from your standard movie-going experience. Tickets are $2.50 in the day, $4.50 at night and $4 for 3D films.

2525 Worthington Cir.

Holiday Twin Drive-In

It’s a drive-in theatre. Enough said. The Holiday Twin is one of six remaining drive-ins in Colorado, keeping that retro date-night movie experience alive. Fairly far away from campus, you will find a large grassy field with two large screens playing a double feature on the weekends, with FM stereo sound going to your car radio — so cool. Drive-ins are one of those American cultural gems we need to preserve. Tickets are $7 in cash for ages 10 & up.

2206 S Overland Trl.

Lyric Cinema Café

The Lyric Cinema Cafe is absolutely my favorite theatre in Fort Collins. When you walk in for the first time, you think to yourself, “This is a movie theatre? But there is a Pac-Man machine over there and there are handrawn paintings on the walls!” It is truly an art house. A tiny building in Old Town, the Lyric is the only theatre in Fort Collins that caters to independent film. In fact, they pretty much only play classics and independent film, my two favorite genres. The Lyric’s motto rings true: the place feels like someone’s living room. Unlike a living room, there are two theatres with couches in the back and there are people selling alcohol, coffee and snacks. The Lyric is currently hosting a Robin Williams retrospective. They are currently playing a slew of his films, while preparing for the flood of Oscar-worthy independent films you won’t be able to see anywhere else. Tickets are $7 for students and $9 for adults.

300 E Mountain Ave.