Colorado State University clubs offer unique experiences for everyone

Joining a club is a great way to meet friends who enjoy the same things you do. At Colorado State University, there are dozens of clubs that cater to students who enjoy both the indoors and outdoors.

Here are just a couple of examples of what CSU has to offer:

A+ Gaming Club

If you enjoy playing games in the cool, safe, indoors, check out A+ Gaming Club, which is dedicated to playing board games, card games, and role-playing games as a group.

The current president of the club is Darren Wood, a second year Masters student studying environmental engineering. “Obsessing about classes without a means to relax, have fun and de-stress can lead to students feeling stressed out or burnt out,” Wood said.

Clubs can provide the means for people to have fun and recover.

“I know there have been times when someone shows up for gaming and says something like ‘I’ve had a bad week. I’ve really just got to kill something.’ After a few combat encounters, the person has released that stress and is in a better state of mind to perform well academically,” Wood said.

Academic success through gaming is partly why one of the club’s founders, CSU Concrete Finance and Finance Investment alumnus Evan Miller, decided to name the club ‘A+’ Gaming Club.

“We wanted to put value not just to our gaming experience, but to the overall university experience of our members,” Miller said.

According to Miller, A+ Gaming Club is a simple group whose goal is to have fun and to help others relax.

“We don’t consider it a successful game unless at the end the whole group had fun,” he said.

The club meets Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. in the Lory Student Center, room 390.

Outdoor Club

For students looking to meet friends in the great outdoors, this club is a place for adventurers of all experience levels to meet and plan outdoor events.

Junior hydro-geology major Joshua Lee is one of the presidents of The Outdoor Club. “The club is changing its identity to be an inclusive and a fun and safe environment for people,” Lee said.

He said that the club aims to take advantage all of the outdoor opportunities that CSU and Colorado offer, since this is often a major reason some people choose to attend this university.

The club certainly does take advantage of the terrain Colorado has to offer. President Eric Kelly, a senior studying natural resources management, says anything from hiking 14ers, to back country adventure skiing, mountain and road biking, rock climbing and fly fishing is planned through the club.

Lee emphasized that the club offers members a lot of freedom to do the adventures they want.

“There are no rules, no fees, no dues and no requirements other than bring a positive attitude and a want and a need to be outdoors and explore,” he said.

The club plans trips and events every Wednesday in the TILT building rm. 104. Afterwards social meetings take place at 8:30 p.m. at Avogadro’s Number, 605 S Mason St.

For more information on The Outdoor Club and other social clubs, student can attend the Involvement Fair on the Lory Student Center Plaza, Sept. 3 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Collegian A&E Writer Sierra Cymes can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com and on Twitter @sierra_cymes.