4K race raises money to stop sexual abuse

jailbreakThis weekend, Fort Collins is going to see a jailbreak.

The third annual Jailbreak 4 Mile, a run/walk put on by the Larimer County Sheriff’s office, will be held Saturday. All proceeds from the run/walk benefit the Child Advocacy Center, an organization that provides support and services to children and families affected by sexual abuse in Larimer County.

“I am so excited to see the community come together [for this race],” said Jill Beck, prevention coordinator and interim director at the Child Advocacy Center. “I am humbled by the dedication that people have to come and do this on their own time and show that they care about us.”

The Sheriff’s Office hopes that the event will not only help raise money for the organization, but it will also help bring the community closer with law enforcement.

“We wanted to create an event that brings the community together with the Sheriff’s office,” said Public Information Officer David Moore. “It is a good way to get people off the couch on a Saturday and do something active while getting to raise money for a good cause.”

Moore said there are more additional benefits to attending this event.

“It allows people to interact with law enforcement in a way that they may not,” Moore added. “People’s interaction with law enforcement isn’t always under good terms and this can let the community to see them in a different light.”

Besides the run, participants will get to enjoy free drinks and snacks, like doughnuts, popcorn and cotton candy, and take “jailbird” photos. Officers from different departments, including SWAT, will also hold demonstrations to show off their equipment and let kids and participants learn more about what they do.

Moore and Beck hope that it will help entertain and educate Fort Collins residents about what these two offices do.

“The number one goal is for us to raise money for the CAC, but we want everyone to come out and have fun and support our cause,” Beck said. “We also hope to educate people a little bit about who we are and give them the chance to meet our amazing staff who do such hard work.”

For Beck, it is also an opportunity for the two offices to spend time together under more positive circumstances, since most interactions between the Sheriff’s Office and the CAC are part of an intense situation.

The Jailbreak 4 Mile is a family friendly event, according to Moore, and anyone is welcome to join. He also encourages runners to dress up in their favorite cop or robber outfit.

“I am looking forward to people having fun and raising as much money as we can so that the Child’s Advocacy Center can continue to serve the community,” Moore said.

In addition to the four-mile race, there will also be a one-mile race starting at 8:30 a.m. for the kids to participate in.

The run begins at 9 a.m. and the route starts and ends at the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office in Fort Collins. Registration is $25 in advance and $35 at the event, and participants receive a free T-shirt. For more information visit the Jailbreak 4 Mile website.

Collegian A&E Assistant Editor Taylor Pettaway can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com or on Twitter @TaylorPettaway.