There’s a festival a brewin’

A beer is poured at a local Fort Collins bar.
Over 100 local craft beers will be available to sample at the festival.

As if we needed another reason to sample local craft beers — it’s already summertime and we’re in Colorado — the 25th annual Colorado Brewers’ Festival is right around the corner, taking place June 27 to 29.

Since 1989, the Colorado Brewers’ Festival has attracted thousands of beer drinkers to Fort Collins to celebrate and honor the dozens of local craft breweries.

Fifty different breweries will be pouring pints of their finest flagships, seasonal releases and small batch beers. Not only will the festival feature offerings from nearly every brewery in Fort Collins, craft beer companies from around the state will be bringing their best to the table.

Due to the myriad options available in Northern Colorado, it would be impossible, and likely quite unhealthy, to sample every single brew produced in the area. Thankfully, events like the Colorado Brewers’ Festival allow beer drinkers, each with their own unique palate, a chance to catch up or try something they’ve never tried.

Want to find out what all the hype behind sour beers is? Look no further. With a handful of krieks, lambics and gueuzes, the Brewers’ Festival will be sure to make you pucker up.

The festival will also offer the chance to test out a chili beer, one of the many burgeoning styles of beer. According to the event’s official brewery list,  Saturday, Twisted Pine will be tapping Billy’s Chilies, their ale brewed with habanero and jalapeño peppers. Expect a kick.

A 25th Anniversary Collaboration Ale has been brewed by Doug Odell of Odell Brewing Company, Brad Page, the owner of Colorado Cider Co. and Dwight Hall, of CooperSmith’s Pub and Brewing. With all three of their hands in the barrels, the resulting batch is sure to please.

Of course, a brewers’ festival would not be complete without the traditional greasy foods associated with drinking beer. Bratwursts and burgers are no surprise but event promoters are also promising alternative options such as Greek and Italian dishes.

New to the event this year, The Wilderness area of the festival grounds will afford all attendees, beer drinkers or not, the opportunity to zip line, rock climb, ride a mechanical bull and take part in other outdoors activities.

Numerous stages will be spread throughout the area, featuring performances by several Colorado bands, including Fort Collins based acts White Water Ramble and DubSkin.

The Colorado Brewers’ Festival is just as much about Fort Collins community tradition as it is a celebration of craft beer culture in Colorado. Last year more than 12,000 people attended the annual event.

According to the official website, proceeds from the festival help fund downtown Fort Collins activities such as concerts, the St. Patrick’s Parade and holiday lighting.

The festival will take place at the Civic Center Area off of Howes Street. Tickets are $20 for the whole weekend and are available for purchase at DowntownFortCollins.com.

“I’m not exactly sure what we’re bringing … [the festival] is going to be awesome,” said Scotty Lytle, a bartender at Black Bottle Brewery in Fort Collins.

If it sounds fun, try it. Ten intriguingly named brews set to tap at the festival:

1.) What-A-Melon – CooperSmith’s Pub & Brewing

2.) Cow Tipper – Kokopelli Beer Company

3.) Psycho Penguin Vanilla Porter – Odyssey Beerwerks

4.) Piney the First – Barrels & Bottles Brewery

5.) Leaves & Lemongrass – Dad & Dude’s Brewaria

6.) Screw the Pooch Pale Ale – Big Beaver Brewing Co.

7.) Watermelon Kolsch – FATE Brewing Company

8.) Wild Cider Pineapple & Berry – Wild Cider

9.) Pink-I Raspberry India Pale Ale – Bonfire Brewing

10.) Sour Apple Saison – Epic Brewing

Collegian Staff Reporter Erick Plattner can be reached at news@collegian.com.