E3 2014: Best of show

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo announced many anticipated games, hardware and services at this year’s E3. The premiere of titles such as Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Battlefield: Hardline, Destiny, Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Super Smash Bros Wii U and Legend of Zelda on Wii U generated a lot of buzz among gamers.

DualShock 3 - Red & Black
DualShock 3 – Red & Black (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

But, in the end, Sony won this year’s E3.

Take away all of the fancy new gimmicks and presentations, and what’s left from Sony are solid games that in the end far outmatch our enthusiasm for both Nintendo and Microsoft.

Sony unveiled the reboot of the classic Grim Fandango, Far Cry 4, Little Big Planet 3, Destiny, Rainbow Six: Siege, Assassin’s Creed Unity, The Order 1886, Entwined, Let it Die, Dead Island 2, Bloodborne, Abzu, Battlefield Hardline, No Man’s Sky, The Last of Us remastered, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, Grand Theft Auto 5 remastered, The Arkham Knight and Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

Among these diverse titles, No Man’s Sky has caught our attention. This hyper-real discovery game has astounding visuals and takes you to unique places ensuring each gamer will come out with a different experience — no two are the same.

Halo defined Xbox and Xbox 360, providing exclusive gameplay to only those consoles. Master Chief is iconic, but only because Bungie and Microsoft took a leap of faith with one of the most celebrated game franchise in history. Destiny has the potential to become the new Halo, thus establishing the future of gaming for the Playstation 4 … Hopefully.

Far Cry 4, which will hit stores this fall, intertwines the classic Far Cry plot with an open world feel while taking the PS4 hardware to the limits with astounding graphics. Within the first five minutes of gameplay it’s evident that the cinematics and graphics are life-like.

http://youtu.be/R81xOMybdFg

The Arkham Knight, following the critically acclaimed trilogy developed by Rocksteady Studios and Warner Brothers, promises a multi-level open world experience. Batman is once again saving Gotham City, this time from the Scarecrow. And, from what we’ve seen, he’s a worthy and terrifying adversary.

http://youtu.be/AKVVVmIjjyo

Finally Sony tugged at our hearts with the announcement of Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End. No gameplay has been featured and their release isn’t expected till at least next year. But, the return of these two games excited fan-girl shrieks and goosebumps. We cannot wait.

http://youtu.be/yfoPfF2u1to

Regardless of anticipated titles, all three platforms provided excellent games we’re very excited for. However in the end, when you take away games that will be available to all platforms, the PS4 showcased a wide variety of games we can’t wait to play. Due to the hardware in the PS4, graphics will be far beyond the other platforms for the price providing truly immersive gameplay for the price.

Highlights from E3

Skyler
Love – Whitcher 3: Wild Hunt, Evolve, Splatoon
Hate – No Half Life 3 and I wouldn’t spend my money on another Call of Duty.

Lawrence
Love – The Division, Rainbow Six: Siege, Hyrule Warriors
Hate – No Last Guardian and Battlefield: Hardline was overly choreographed (The multiplayer will not look like the trailer).

Collegian Managing Editor Lawrence Lam and senior reporter Skyler Leonard can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.