Q&A with Sadi Thompson

Theatre
Theatre (Photo credit: boeke)

Sadi Thompson will graduate this May along with many seniors. Thompson will graduate with a theatre degree with a performance concentration. She attended Colorado State University for the last two years of her college career.

Q: What do you like about CSU’s theatre department?

I like the opportunity. I feel like you have to be a go-getter and you have to be like: “I really want to accomplish this.” If you’re driven and have a plan, there’s just so much opportunity.

Q: How long have you been at CSU?

I’ve been here two years and I’m directing my second show right now, which isn’t normal. You don’t just let people direct, but I really pursued getting to direct the freshman project and the show I did last semester. You’re not limited to just getting cast or just getting a design. You can actually create something yourself and as long as it’s something within reason, they’ll facilitate it.

Q: What is it like working with the theatre department?

It’s small enough that they can know you. Some departments are so big that some students will be in their senior year and nobody will know them. So, I definitely like that aspect of it.

Q: Do you prefer directing or acting?

It’s so hard to say. I’ve been acting since I was 11 years old, so I can’t really say anything is going to come before acting, but I definitely enjoy both in their own way.

Q: How do you feel about graduation? Are you ready or is it bittersweet?

It’s both. So, I took two years off of school, which makes me a slightly older student. For that reason, I’m just so ready to be done, because I feel like I started school a million years ago. However, because I’ve had so much opportunity, because I’ve been able to do so much, the UCA’s kind of my second home. So, I don’t know what kind of withdrawals I’m going to be having here in two weeks when I’m not supposed to be here anymore.

Q: What are you planning on doing once you graduate?

Immediately after, I’m going to work for Kids Do It All, which is the summer theatre camp. Basically, I’m a counselor and director. Eventually, my big goal is to start a theatre company that’s based in the northern Colorado area.  Something that’s community-based, that allows different people to get involved, that allows local playwrights to showcase their work. So, acting, directing, and running the business side of it is my ultimate goal, but that’s definitely a little ways down the road. Immediately, I just want to integrate myself into the theatre community and get to know people and get involved.

Collegian Entertainment Reporter Cassie Maack can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.