Five ways to survive next week’s finals

puppy
puppy (Photo credit: Lisa L Wiedmeier)

Finals week is rough. We’re stressing about exams and final projects, of course, but many of us are also stressed about packing up and leaving Fort Collins. We start to get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

When does my flight leave? Why does this exam begin at the weirdly specific time of 4:10 p.m.? She said we could turn in that essay today or Wednesday, right?

With all of the worry and anxiety, we thought it might be good to give you a few tips on how to survive the week:

1. Caffeine

This is non-negotiable.

2. Multitask

If you’re beginning to realize that you’ve missed out on Fort Collins benefits because of school, work, or whatever, combine some studying with the best of what Fort Collins has to offer.

Take advantage of the (hopefully) nice weather and do some studying on the Oval. Head out to Horsetooth and study with a view.

There are also plenty of great food places open late for those pulling all-nighters. We all have local restaurants we’re going to miss over the summer, so take advantage of the late night sustenance while you can. We plan on ordering Krazy Karl’s (224-2000 or https://krazykarlspizza.hungerrush.com) any chance we get.

3. Take a break, preferably with puppies

Ruff Start Rescue and Training founder, Ashlea King, is open to the idea of people coming out to their location in Berthoud (210 Versaw Ct.) to relieve stress with the help of some truly adorable pups. They are all named after local beers and are all cute enough to make even the toughest of us break out the baby talk.

Just call ahead at 605-354-3786 to make sure it’s convenient for the puppies. They might have plans or something.

4. Calculate

For years, this reporter has been spending a few minutes during Dead Week with a calculator figuring out how badly she can mess up on the final and still get an acceptable grade. Pessimistic? A bit. However, it’s a huge relief when you realize you can get a 30 on the exam and still receive a B in the class.

Disclaimer: Don’t do this if you are on the edge of a good grade and a bad grade. You’ll psych yourself out.

5. Relax and prioritize

It’s easier said than done, but don’t be afraid to take a few minutes for yourself among all the chaos.

Classes are important. Grades are important. But, so are friends, and so is fun. That’s what college is about, right? Finding the balance.

Study for a while and then head out to the Lyric Cinema Cafe at 300 E. Mountain Ave. to watch a flick with some friends. Write your essay and then hike to the “A” one last time. Pack some of your stuff up and then have a Nerf gun war in your dorm.

Figure out the balance that works for you and go with it.

Well, there you have it. Those are some our tips for how to survive the most stressful week of the semester.

Try one. Try them all. Try none. Just do what works for you, Rams, and we promise we’ll make it through this next week together.

Collegian Staff Writer McKenna Ferguson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.