Top Ten Ways to Celebrate 4/20

8 further pictures can be found here
8 further pictures can be found here (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

This Sunday is 4/20 and we all know what that means: Easter! Easter Sunday can be a little depressing if you don’t get to home to see your family. Or if you don’t celebrate Easter. Here are some ideas of what to do this Sunday if you’ll be staying in the Fort Collins area.

1. Sunrise service at Red Rocks

This early morning service starts at the crack of dawn, 6:00 a.m. to be precise. The gates open at 4:30 a.m. and the music starts at 5:30 a.m. The service is free, even parking. At the very least you’ll get to watch the sunrise from a beautiful view with a bunch of friendly, cheerful people.

2. Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa at Red Rocks

Starting at 7:30 p.m. this concert is the first ever Snoop’s Wellness Retreat. If you went to the Easter service at sunrise, you could just make a day of Red Rocks. The weather is supposed to be warm and spring-like, so you could get there early and take a walk along the trails at Red Rocks.

3. Flatbush Zombies concert at the Aggie Theater

If you’re looking to stay in Fort Collins Sunday, but still want some rocking music, you could check out the Flatbush Zombies concert. Starting at 8:00 p.m. this concert promises to be one to remember. The prices range from $14.20 for the early bird special to $20 at the door. This mysterious band is sure to keep you on your toes with their mix of humor and surprise.

4. Easter morning service at the Lincoln Center

Mountain View Community Church is hosting a free Easter morning service at the Lincoln Center at 10:00 a.m. Get ready for music, mingling and celebration.

5. Easter Egg hunt

Miss the Easter bunny? You could make your own Easter egg hunt with some friends or family. Hide them around the house or go to a nearby park to make things interesting. You could fill plastic eggs with candy or get creative. If you don’t feel like buying plastic eggs, you could stuff treats in socks and hide them. Just make sure the socks are clean first.

6. Dye Easter eggs

Hard-boil some eggs and dip them in some colorful decorations. This way you’ll get to have fun while making some food for the upcoming week. If you’re into competition, you and your friends could have a prize for the best-decorated egg.

7. Cook a feast with friends

So you didn’t get to go home this weekend? That’s OK. Odds are you’ve got some friends who will be around also. Get together and have a meal together. You could cook a feast together or do it potluck-style where each person brings a dish. What kind of American would you be if you didn’t eat your heart out on a holiday?

8. Horsetooth

The weather forecast calls for sunny and in the 70s Sunday, so enjoy it. While many people are going to concerts or spending time with family, you can hit up Horsetooth and enjoy nature. You can take a drive, park and hike, or even go to one of the beaches and dip your toes in the (probably still very cold) water.

9. Go to the park

If you don’t want to drive to Horsetooth but want to hang outside, you can walk (or bike or teleport) to a nearby park. Play around with a Frisbee or bring some food for a picnic. You could even go with a blanket and a good book and lie in the sun relaxing.

10. Student Recital at the University Center for the Arts

Hear Blaine Lemansky in a student recital at the UCA. Listen as Lemansky blares away on the trombone, relax and enjoy some music. The concert starts at 4:30 p.m. in the Organ Recital Hall of the UCA.

No matter what you do this 4/20, enjoy the nice weather Rammies. Hopefully your professors don’t give you too much homework, so you can take one last break before gearing up for finals. Summer is so close. Can you taste it?

Collegian Entertainment Assistant Editor Amber Johnson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.