Survival Guide to St. Patrick’s Day

Saint Patrick's Day parade on lower Magazine S...
Saint Patrick’s Day parade  (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Let out your inner leprechaun this weekend with St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. If you’re wondering just how to unleash your inner Irish this year, we’ve got your back. There’s a lot going on this weekend and it’s not all about the beer. Take a look at some places to bring in your spring break.

Lucky Joe’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade

Starting Saturday morning at 10 a.m. on Walnut Avenue, this parade will bring you a day filled with fun. There will be over 80 floats marching south on College. The parade is just the beginning though. Afterwards, stick around for beer, food and music from Celtica, a bagpipe rock band, a performance from McTeggart Irish dancers and more. For more information, go to http://downtownfortcollins.com/events/lucky-joes-st-patricks-day-parade.

Eat Corned Beef and Cabbage

This traditional St. Patty’s Day meal is hard to beat and fairly easy to make. Just let it sit in the crock pot all day while you are out enjoying the festivities in Old Town. If you make enough, you can probably make it last until Monday and enjoy it on the real St. Patrick’s Day.

Lucky Joe’s

If you don’t feel like cooking for yourself, let Lucky Joe’s serve you a mixture of Irish and American food. Watch out, they’re bound to be busy. They are the ones sponsoring the parade on Saturday morning after all.

Skiing

There’s nothing like some spring skiing to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. If you’re 21, you can have a beer at the resort at lunch and really enjoy the holiday. If you’re feeling extra festive, order a green beer in honor of this Irish holiday.

Bar Crawl

Jump from bar to bar, hitting places like Coopersmith’s, Hodi’s Half Note, Kevin’s Pub and Fort Collins Brewery for a taste of a variety of drinks and scenes, all in the name of good old St. Patrick.

Visit a Brewery

Fort Collins has several breweries. Check some out and see which one has the best beer. Or the darkest beer. Or which one makes you feel the most Irish. Whatever you want.

Go to the Melting Pot

It may not strictly be Irish but who doesn’t love a good fondue? You can make it seem Irish by wearing green, ordering a beer and talking in Irish accents. Get creative and enjoy.

There’s a ton of ways to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, it doesn’t really matter how you do it. Just have a good time and enjoy yourself. It’s not about the drinking or partying, but having a good time in honor of the Irish. Plus celebrating spring break and being halfway to summer vacation. Whatever you end up doing for St. Patrick’s Day, don’t forget to wear green. Unless you like getting pinched.

Collegian Entertainment Assistant Editor Amber Johnson can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.