Eats and Treats: Food Review of Austin’s American Grill

A cocktail composed of vodka, lime juice and g...
A cocktail composed of vodka, lime juice and ginger beer. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

With so many choices in Old Town, it seems nearly impossible to decide where to dine on a busy Saturday night. Austin’s American Grill is by far the best choice in town.

My group and I wandered into Austin’s American Grill on a busy Saturday night. The four of us took a seat at the bar as we waited for our table and took in the cozy atmosphere around us. The first thing that caught my eye was the open-mouthed oven, displaying delicious and succulent rotisserie chickens ready to be served. My mouth began watering just as the bartender came up, greeted us warmly and asked for our drink order.

Because I just turned 21, I am new to the whole bar scene and am always unsure of what to order. Because of this, I like asking bartenders for their recommendations. Without a word, he nodded and said he would “take care of it.”

He emerged with a brass cup and dared me to take a sip – I’m definitely glad that I did. Refreshing citrus flavor hit my tongue as the fizzy ginger beer mingled with a slight hint of vodka – needless to say, I was in love.

The presentation, complete with an authentic Moscow Mule copper cup, was enough to get me hooked. Other members of my group sampled a Stoli Doli — vodka infused with fresh pineapple — and a Spring Smash —vodka complemented with fresh basil, lemon, and cucumber. Just as we were finishing our first round of drinks, the waitress came by to take us to our table.

After perusing the impressive menu, we decided to order the special. First, she brought out their signature Fat Tire Beer Cheese Soup, a velvety soup full of rich and creamy cheese, with a small hit of hoppiness from the beer.

Next on the menu was a house salad with mixed greens and balsamic dressing while we awaited the main course. Once the main arrived, my jaw dropped. She had brought us plates of smoked New York Strip steak and half a lobster tail sitting atop a bed of risotto with mashed potatoes on the side.

To finish up the meal, we ordered chocolate zucchini cake and a slice of Austin’s signature key lime pie. The key lime pie had a crumbly graham cracker crust coupled with a refreshing citrus pie filling. The chocolate zucchini cake was coupled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and topped with a layer of chocolate frosting – both desserts were absolutely delicious and were gone within seconds.

After the check was dropped and the plates were cleared, we were hesitant to leave such a warm and inviting atmosphere. We nursed another round of drinks from the bar and enjoyed good conversation before finally heading home. Austin’s American Grill exceeded my expectations in more ways than one. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone who may be wandering around Old Town looking for a bite to eat.

Collegian Entertainment Editor Amanda Zetah can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.