Your Guide to Safe Sexting

Sexting, a brilliant blend of two hugely popular pastimes, sex and texting, what could be better? We all know someone who’s guilty of sexting, yourself included, and while often times no harm is intended, things can and do go astray. Think of this as your guide to smart sexting, a slight oxymoron. Follow these rules to ensure that you are sexting smart as well as you can.

1. Trust or Bust:

Trust is essential in the world of sexting. Sending someone you hardly know a sext is like telling a secret to a stranger. What’s to say they won’t share it with the world and then some? Nothing. There is no guarantee that what you send will not go out to a larger audience than you intended. Trust me, that’s not the kind of fame you want. Make sure that you know and trust the lucky recipient; you should be able to rest easy knowing they won’t be sharing it with their friends or on Facebook.

1. Drunk Daze:

Drunken texting should be illegal considering it rarely ends well. Obviously the same goes for drunken sexting. Waking up with no recollection of the late night rendezvous you engaged in through your phone leaves you trying to mop up a mess that is near impossible to clean. One of alcohol’s greatest aspects is also its worst, the loss of inhibition. Sure it can be fun to let loose for a night but your phone can — and will — keep an accurate record of whatever you choose to do, no matter how embarrassing it is. Better to be safe than sorry and leave your phone out of the picture when alcohol is involved.

1. Protect the Property:

Whenever you use your phone to send private messages you leave the opportunity for one of your friends or even a stranger to take a peek. The simple solution lies in passcode protection; lock your phone so that only you can get into it with your password. This will stop nosy friends from looking through your tantalizing texts. Making sure your sexting partner does the same is vital. Having one of their friends come across a sexy snapshot of you would make for some awkward situations. Protect yourself even further by utilizing the trash. Delete your texting conversations and any pictures after that fact; you never know when you might be browsing through your pictures only to have a nudey pop up.

1. Face the Facts:

This is without a doubt the cardinal rule of sexting; whatever you do, DO NOT SHOW YOUR FACE. The caps lock was necessary for that one. It still amazes me that some people choose to send out their birthday suit best with their faces in full view. You might as well print out the thing and autograph it while you’re at it. With relationships it never hurts to leave them guessing a little bit. And since you’ve decided to let them have the full peek show, do yourself a favor and leave your face out. Think of it as a game of Guess Who, it is a lot harder to pick you out of a lineup without seeing your face.

1. There’s an App for That:

There are plenty of options for safe sexting apps, so you can take your pick, also see [page number] for more options.

• Snapchat- Send a snapshot of your liking to anyone in your phone for the desired amount of time. Choose the time wisely though, too long and you might have a screenshot situation on your hands. And whatever you do, avoid the “my story” option.

• Facebook Poke- Much like Snapchat, this app allows you to send pictures or messages to a Facebook friend for a limited time of your choosing. The same goes though, avoid giving too ample amount of viewing time.

• Invisible Text- Think of Snapchat/Facebook Poke on steroids and this is your app. Send images, messages and more to someone knowing that you are protected. The app allows you to set a timer that self-destructs the message if it’s not read in time and doesn’t allow the opportunity of screenshots. An added bonus for you drunk texters, the app allows you to delete a message before it’s even been opened.

There you have it, a guide to safer sexting. One last thing to keep in mind while sexting, there is always the possibility of what you send going public. We know you’ve heard the lecture before, “don’t send anything you wouldn’t want your mom to see” and as annoying as it is, it’s sadly a rather valid statement. But we also understand that some occasions call for a little something special, and when those occasions arise it’s best to be safe rather than sorry.

College Avenue Reporter  Nicole Leicht can be reached at collegeavenue@collegian.com