Seven Minutes in Heaven

IMG_5108Editor’s Note: The Fashion Report will be featured every Friday in the Collegian. Karli Beedle is the author of this article. 

Full time student here at Colorado State University and part-time barista, Abigail McDonald, is a Colorado native with her own unique style, a knack for seeking out thrift store treasures and putting together fun 50s inspired outfits. Abigail is getting ready to graduate this semester, with not one, but two degrees in English and Spanish. She loves drinking and making coffee, hanging out with her dog and helping others. We really loved getting to take a peek inside her closet:

Q: Who are your style icons or inspirations?

A: My grandma! She is obsessed with the Victorian era. She is always completely put together and carries herself in such an empowering way, which I have a great appreciation for. She is always giving me ridiculous style tips too, like never wear a belt and shoes that don’t match, and if you have a bag, make sure that matches as well.

Q: How has your style evolved or changed over the years?

A: I have always enjoyed the ’50s era, but maybe wasn’t always comfortable enough with myself to take very many risks with my fashion until later on. I use my style as a way of expressing myself now, I am more comfortable and able to take risks with what I wear.

Q: Where do you usually shop?

A: Well the shopping in Fort Collins isn’t the greatest, but I love thrifting. I like going to places like the Buffalo Exchange, Repeat Boutique, or Habitat for Humanity.

Q: What has been your best thrift store find?

A: My glasses, I found them at Habitat. They had a great frame and I just had to take them in to my eye doctor to get the right prescription.

Q: Is there one piece of clothing or accessory in your closet that is your favorite, or has special meaning to you?

A: My rings are really important to me, I wear them every day. This one my mom made for me out of an old piece of silverware. And this one my mom actually gave to me too, it was a ring that she had received as a gift from a boy a long time ago.

Q: How do your day-to-day looks differ from outfits you wear for special occasions? 

A: I feel like day-to-day I am influenced by the ’50s but I like to change it up sometimes too, it depends on my mood. When I get dressed up for an event or something though, I like to go full retro.

Q: What is the craziest piece of clothing that you own? 

A: I found this crazy jacket at a thrift store once. It is a Junior Deputies jacked that is monogrammed and has a big horse image on the back. The thing about it is that it has the name Sally embroidered on it, which has to be the former Junior Deputy that it belonged to, I’m actually kind of self-conscious about wearing it sometimes.

Q: Do you have any key pieces that you find yourself wearing constantly?

A: My brown cardigan and my sandals are always my go-to pieces, I love them, but they are getting a little worn since I do wear them so often.

Q: What are 5 pieces of yours that you can’t live without?

A: My glasses obviously, my rings, a plain black dress, a good pair of jeans, and scarves, you can never have too many scarves.

Collegian Guest Columnist Karlie Beedle can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.