Five ethnic restaurants near campus to curb your craving

Horchata_de_arrozRas-Ka

Type of cuisine: Ethiopian

Location: 120-B West Laurel

Hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Price range: $6-$9 for entrees and sides for $1

The spice flows freely at this intimate Ethiopian eatery. Try the savory buffalo meatballs, flavorful Tilapia or delicious alicha stew. Don’t be afraid to ditch the silverware and order a plate of injera, a type of spongy flatbread, to scoop up the food.

Teriyaki Wok II

Type of cuisine: Korean and Japanese

Location: 829 South Shields

Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Price range: $5-$10 for entrees and $1.50-$4.50 for sides. Boba tea for $3.69

Looking for the best boba tea in town? Then you’ve come to the right place. With over 40 flavors, Teriyaki Wok II delivers the goods. Ethnic cuisine is the time to be adventurous, so try the kimchi soup, spicy squid, or grilled mackerel. If you’re still stumped by the menu, chicken katsu is a delicious perennial staple or go for crispy beef dumplings.

Thai_style_Otah

Yum Yums

Type of cuisine: Mediterranean

Location: 1300 West Elizabeth

Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Price range: $5-$12 for entrees and $2-$6 for appetizers

This is the place for Mediterranean food. One can’t go wrong with the fava beans, lentil soup, gyros or shwarma. For the vegetarians, their crispy falafel is delightful. If you managed to not be full by the end of your meal, sweet and sticky baklava will hit the spot. There’s also a wide variety of drink choices with a full bar and fresh juices.

Bann Thai

Type of cuisine: Thai

Location: 626 South College

Hours: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for lunch and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. for dinner, Monday-Friday. On weekends food is served continuously from noon to 9 p.m.

Price range: Appetizers from $5.50 to $7.50. Entrees from $11.79 to $15.79.

If the plentiful spices at Ras-ka don’t sate your appetite, then Bann Thai is the place to go. Their sweet and spicy panang curry is divine and Pad Thai is a classic dish sure to please anyone. For the vegetarians, try their jasmine rice stir-fried in green curry and topped with firm tofu.

Las Salsitas

Type of cuisine: Mexican

Location: 1010 South College

Hours: Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Price range: $7 entrees and $0.99 tacos on Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Grab a glass of horchata and order a couple of tacos filled with chicken, carnitas or tender pork barbacoa. The restaurant’s wide selection of salsas, from the standard verde to the unique smoky peanut, will keep you coming back to try every last combination. Don’t forget that Las Salsitas is open for breakfast, so feel free to start the day with a chorizo breakfast burrito or a plate of huevos rancheros.

Collegian reporter Jefferson Geiger can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.