“Catching Fire” is Catching Attention

May the odds be ever in your favor… while you’re looking for a good seat at this weekend’s showings of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire,” because tickets are going quickly!

The first movie of The Hunger Games trilogy, based off the first book in the series, captured the attention of devoted fans who have anxiously awaited the release of the second movie in the series, “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.”

“The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” premiered yesterday evening at the Cinemark movie theater off Timberline Road at 8 p.m. From then on, the theater had a showing every 15 minutes until 10 p.m., then 3 more showings beginning at midnight.

Tickets for the movie went on sale Oct. 1, and by the day of the premiere, six out of the 13 showings at the Cinemark were completely sold out.

Katie Claypool, a sophomore communications major, attended the midnight premiere with a friend.

“I’ve been an avid fan of the series and I’ve read all the books multiple times since they first came out,” Claypool said.

As a fan of the books well before the movies came out, Claypool compared the two.

“I definitely could see some of the differences in the first movie from the book,” Claypool said. “There were some, ‘what happened to this?’ or, ‘this isn’t quite right’ moments, but overall, I thought it was pretty well represented.”

Claypool especially enjoys the rebellious quality of the story.

“I love the underlying theme of a utopian society along with all those stabs at (the) government,” Claypool said. “It had to come from somewhere, you know? Like some kind of ill will towards society.”

Fellow fan Jordan Granath, sophomore business administration major, also feels that the Hunger Games series has political undertones.

“We can learn from (the story) how power works in today’s society and that everyone’s actions combined can have an effect, which is something a lot of people forget in these times,” Granath said.

Granath enjoys the series because he can relate to key character Peeta Mellark.

“I feel I can relate with Peeta because I’m always chasing a girl I can’t get,” Granath said, laughing. “But really, I can connect with him by being part of a world with flaws and wanting to make a change in my own way.”

As main character, Katniss Everdeen, battles her way past unimaginable obstacles, many fangirls find themselves looking up to her.

Liberty Johnke, freshman health and exercise science major, said, “Through lots of tragedy and misfortune, still seeing her pull herself up after everything is the best part.”

Tickets to see “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” at the Cinemark movie theater can be purchased at a discounted price of $7 when you present your student ID at the box office. Tickets can also be purchased online at www.cinemark.com.

Collegian Senior Entertainment Reporter, Peyton Garcia, can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.