Back to Bassics

Now is your chance to become part of a new rising star on the CSU music scene.

Bassic, our latest co-ed a cappella group, is hosting a fundraising event at Café Mexicali this Saturday, Nov. 2, at 5 p.m.

Café Mexicali coupons will be distributed at the CSU men’s basketball game at Moby Arena. With this coupon, 20 percent of your Café Mexicali bill will go toward supporting Bassic.

Popularized by the blockbuster comedy film “Pitch Perfect,” a cappella is a style of group singing without instruments. Instead, some singers among the group vocally produce the background instrumentals to their songs, while the others sing the lyrics.

Bassic made their performance debut Friday, Oct. 25, at Bisetti’s Italian Restaurant in Old Town Fort Collins. Their set included the pieces “Bottom of the River” by Delta Rae, “Clarity” by Zedd and “It’s Time” by Imagine Dragons.

According to President and Music Director Angela Gesicki, the group began September 2013 after approximately a year of Gesicki and Vice President Schyler Vargas planning to start an a cappella group.

“I found the Ramblings and sang with them for a year as a sophomore at CSU,” Gisecki said. “After having that great experience, I wanted to create something of my own and give more opportunities to those who also enjoy singing.”

One of these musicians is Brittany Golden, a sophomore who has been involved with music since first grade choir.

According to Golden, a cappella is a unique musical experience because it emphasizes an intimate, small group dynamic. A cappella benefits from less voices and it demands greater confidence out of the individual voice.

According to Golden, Bassic distinguishes itself because of its newness, calling for more entrepreneurial networking from its members as they build a following and bring themselves closer together through an ultimately rewarding challenge.

“We’re like one big, happy family,” Golden said.

According to Vice President Vargas, Bassic has been a learning opportunity that helps him develop and grow musically, even with his pre-existing passion for song.

“All of the music we are doing are our own arrangements,” Vargas said, “so for me, I would love to learn more about arranging.”

As for their future, Gesicki is enthusiastic. According to the President and music director, Bassic is going to become a regular performing group, and stay true to its mission of involvement in the a cappella community, CSU and Fort Collins at large.

“We will be having a Spring Showcase next semester where we will have our first full blown performance,” Gesicki said. “You can most definitely expect us to be having fun!”

Collegian Entertainment Staff Writer Hunter Goddard can be reached at news@collegian.com.