How to blow off steam after your first day of class

Far from the first day of elementary school, when shopping for school supplies was an exciting prelude to days of learning, fun and friendship, the first day of classes at CSU is just a signal that it’s time to lose money to textbooks, hours to class and sleep to homework.

This is just the reality of your life right now, and there’s nothing to be done about that. Unless you just don’t show up to class, in which case you could use your tuition to buy a couple of 80-inch screen TVs instead.

For those of you who didn’t just have an epiphany regarding whether or not this degree is worth it to you, here are a few ideas about how to blow off steam after your first day of class.

1. Take a nap. There is nothing that makes your worries disappear like being unconscious. Take a few hours’ break from reality and dream of owning two 80-inch screen TVs. Note: No promises that you won’t dream about waking up the first week of December and realizing you haven’t attended a single class. That must be so stressful for you.

Looking for something a little more helpful than “take a nap?” Okay. That could only cover a few hours anyway, or it’d be called “going to bed.”

2. Comedy night. Release some endorphins and forget your syllabi at Hodi’s Half Note (167 N. College Ave.), which offers free comedy at 7 p.m., hosted by Bob Gaudet and RapidFireEntertainment, and music at 10 p.m., hosted by Eric Imbrosciano and Walter Hannah of The Nu Classics. (It’s $5 if you’re under 21 though.) Enjoy the show and a $3 micro draft — but not too much. Remember, you have class tomorrow.

3. Country music. Who gives voice to the universal pain that is human existence better than country singers? Head to Avogadro’s Number (605 S. Mason St.) at 7 p.m. to catch Jeanne Jolly. Entry is $10.

4. Edit: There is no Bluestocking Burly-Q show Monday night. For information on upcoming shows, check out their website or Facebook page. The Collegian regrets its error.

Entertainment editor Em Kribs can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com