Young Producers Organization presents ‘College: The Musical’

Freshman Abbey Featherston sings about her relationship with her boyfriend in college at the YPO's rehearsal for College, the Musical.
Freshman Abbey Featherston sings about her relationship with her boyfriend in college at the YPO’s rehearsal for College, the Musical.

As we might have forgotten with finals staring us down, there is more to college than just earning your general credits. There is general agreement that college is a time to experiment and discover.

CSU’s Young Producers Organization is putting on a show this weekend that will help students understand what college is really about.

Students of all ages and areas of study will recognize themselves in this funny, yet honest show, “College: The Musical.”

YPO’s publicity manager, Jasmine Winfrey said, “This show is like looking into a mirror. Everyone can find a character to relate to.”

“College” will open Friday, May 10 at 7 p.m. at the University Center for the Arts in the Large Acting Lab, room 242. There will be other showings Saturday, May 11 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. and Sunday, May 12 at 2 p.m.

“I think this show was intended to relate to this generation and its apathy,” Winfrey said. “Students will learn to better appreciate college life through it.”

The show focuses on a college freshman boy who faces the temptations of partying and the struggles of fitting in that we all know too well.

“The main character learns that the key to success in college is to be himself,” said senior English major, JD Jacob, who is the show’s director.

“This is a story of coming of age … Being a part of this show, I have seen how much I have changed since being a freshman here at CSU,” he said.

Stage manager Keili Elliott has also been able to learn about herself through this process.

“It is a surprisingly deep show that is all about discovering who you are,” she said.

While admission is free, donations are accepted to help fund next year’s shows.

Whether you are a graduating senior or a shining new freshman, grab some friends and come learn more about yourself and this wild adventure we call college.

Music and Performing Arts Beat Reporter Peyton Garcia can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com