Colorado State hosts dog de-stress event for finals week

Rottweiler Puppies
Rottweiler Puppies (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

University students are all too familiar with the phrase “working like a dog,” but if you think about it, dogs don’t do any work at all. They’re always eating or rolling in something or taking a nap, which is probably why they’re so relaxed — and relaxing.

The Association for Student Activity Programming has collaborated with Resources for Disabled Students to create a fun, relaxing night intended to help students de-stress before finals.

The College of Applied Human Sciences at CSU has developed a program called the Human-Animal Bond in Colorado, which celebrates the unconditional love and therapeutic benefits of an animal companion.

HABIC will bring a variety of therapy dogs to the lobby of Clark A101 on Tuesday night from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for students to interact with.

“In general, having a pet helps a human reduce stress and increase physical and mental well-being,” said Kathleen Ivy, counselor and coordinator for RDS. “A lot of students are missing their pets from home, so some time with these dogs will help relieve stress levels during this time of year.”

ASAP and RDS hope that this event can become something that happens before all finals at CSU.

“I think this is a great tool, a great relaxation method, and a good way for students to have fun,” said Mai Lee, program coordinator for ASAP.

All CSU students and faculty are encouraged to come.

Freshman journalism major Holly Graham has attended a similar event before. “It seemed to really be helping the students. Everyone was smiling and having a great time,” she said.

Graham has been working with dogs at puppy mills for four years.

“Dogs help relieve stress because they don’t argue and they don’t talk back; they just love on you,” Graham said. “This is a chance to forget grades, classes and stress just for a little while.”

Ali Rezek, freshman bio-medical engineer major, is really looking forward to the event.

“Finals are a really big deal,” Rezek said. “I’m definitely stressed about calculus; I mean, who wouldn’t stress about calculus?”

While the students play with the puppies, HABIC and RDS will provide other tips on avoiding stress this upcoming week.

“Personally, when I get super stressed out I take a long shower and remind myself it’s not the end of the world,” Rezek said.

If the pressure of finals week is starting to get to you, come take a fun, furry break with a couple friends before you hit the books again.

Music and Performing Arts Beat Reporter Peyton Garcia can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com