Pizza for cyclists in Fort Collins

Pizza I made
Pizza I made (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

If the emergence of sunny spring weather isn’t encouragement enough to take a bike out for a spin, the promise of free pizza might be.

The Campus Bike Advisory Committee is teaming up with CSUPD, Parking and Transportation Services, ASCSU and the City of Fort Collins Bicycle Ambassador Program to put on Pedal for Pizza.

The event will provide the first 300 students, faculty and staff to arrive at the intersection of University and Meridian with free pizza and drinks.

“Pedal for Pizza is one of many events that helps promote a safe and enjoyable biking experience on campus and throughout our community,” said Jennifer Johnson, the Bicycle Program coordinator.

In addition to providing pizza, the event will include free giveaways for things like bike lights and helmets, as well as a bike mechanic who can provide minor repairs and adjustments free of charge.

“My bike could definitely use an after-winter tune-up,” said student and avid cyclist, Matt Barth. “The free pizza is just an unnecessary bonus.”

After participants have been lured to the event by the promise of free goods and services, bike maps, safety information and an opportunity to register a bike for $10, then buy a U-lock to prevent theft, will equip attendees with all the tools they need to embrace biking.

“We want to encourage taking advantage of the environmental and health benefits of using bicycling as an affordable, green alternative mode of transportation,” Johnson said.

Beau Jo’s, Celestino’s, Dominos, Marco’s and Pizza Casbah will all be expressing their support for this event by donating their tasty pies for the event.

Pizza isn’t the only tool CBAC has in its bicycling promotion tool belt; the committee has also had success in reaching out to the community using breakfast food.

Bike for Breakfast is an event similar to Pedal for Pizza that has taken place once a week throughout the past few Septembers. Students also may have noticed the recently installed Fix-it Stations around campus.

“The Fix-it Stations include all the tools necessary to perform basic repairs and maintenance,” Johnson said, “from changing a flat to adjusting brakes and derailleurs or airing up the tires.”

Music and Performing Arts Beat Reporter Katie Salka can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com.