Happy Lucky’s Teahouse and Treasures sends you to the Amazon

Take a free trip to the jungles of Brazil tonight at 7 p.m. as Fort Collins’ Happy Lucky’s Teahouse and Treasures shares the owners’ experience from the Amazon rainforest with a photo slideshow and complimentary Brazilian teas.

George and Kari Grossman, owners of the Happy Lucky’s Teahouse, located at 236 Walnut St. in Old Town, encourage you to come in and experience their “great wall of tea.” Lucky’s has more than 180 different flavors of teas to choose from, with a friendly staff to help you make the right selection — not to mention a variety of baked goods and products that make their cozy house an ideal place to sit back, relax and enjoy a spot of tea.

But their wide selection isn’t what sets them apart. Lucky’s motto to “serve up a world of change” can be seen through their commitment to fair trade. Ten percent of all profits made in the teahouse go to support education in Cambodia.

And that’s not all they’re doing to share a little worldly flavor.

“Wonders of the Amazon will be a photographic journey of what my wife and I saw as we traveled with our tour guide through the Amazon jungle of Brazil,” George said.

Tour guide Andre Carvalhaes, a Brazilian local, led the pair on their adventure through the Amazon. Andre has a doctorate in ornithology, the study of birds, which George said “made the trip all the more interesting.”

His knowledge of birds and the landscape made for some spectacular moments.

“Andre was able to conjure birds over to our canoe as we paddled down the river. It made for some really great shots,” said George.

In addition to capturing the Brazilian fauna up close, the Lucky’s Teahouse team was able to get some great pictures of the flora as well.

“Andre showed us how to climb up a Brazilian nut tree. We went over 100 feet up and were able to get some amazing photography of the miles and miles of canopy,” said George.

In spirit of the trip, the teahouse will be serving up teas of Brazilian origin. There will be free cups of roasted Yerba Mate tea and Acai berry white tea served in the back tea room for all attendees. Tour guide Andre will navigate you through the colorful slideshow and answer any questions you might have.