Fort Collins St. Patrick’s Day 5K run/walk

Skype Shamrock
Skype Shamrock (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

It is that time of year again. The streets are decked in green, spring is within reach and it’s time to run a 5K.

St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and Fort Collins definitely knows how to celebrate.

Saturday, March 16, citizens of Fort Collins will fill the streets near Library Park in Old Town.

If you are looking for an active way to spend this holiday, consider participating in the “Sharin’ o’ the Green” 5K run/walk. Registration begins at 7 a.m. and the race will commence at 8:30 a.m.

Registration the day of will cost $35 per individual over the age of 17, and all profits go to the Partners Mentoring Youth Program.

This program works with at-risk youth in Northern Colorado. According to the mission statement on their website (www.partnersmentoringyouth.org), “The mission of Partners Mentoring Youth is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships between positive adult role models and youth facing challenges in their personal, social and academic lives.”

The Partners organization is facing their 35th year in the Fort Collins community, home of their main office.

This will be the 15th year that Partners has put on the 5K run/walk.

According to Maryann Fillingim, the development manager of Partners, “The race really blew up the past two years.”

In 2011 the race had 1,500 participants, and then in 2012 the race had close to 3,000 participants. Fillingim is delighted that Partners will soon need to close registration this year due to the number of participants wanting to sign up.

Heather Vesgaard, associate director of Partners, said, “This is a really fun event that also plays into the St. Patrick’s Day theme.”

Costumes are encouraged, and dogs and children are welcome.

Partners has even set up a mini race for the children called “Shamrock Scurry.” It’s free for all children and allows them to participate in their own way.

Not only does this event provide an opportunity to celebrate the holiday with friends and family, but it brings awareness to the goal of the Partners organization.

“We have a lot of fantastic youth in this community worth investing in,” Vesgaard said. “We simply build on the potential that they already have in order to be successful adults.”

Partners helps develop lasting relationships in the Northern Colorado community.

“I truly enjoy seeing the transformation and watching the kids grow… they seem more excited for the future,” Fillingim said.

Partners works with approximately 500 youth every year and it is easy to get involved. The 5K run/walk is only the kickoff of their event season. To find out more about becoming a volunteer you can go to the Partners Mentoring Youth website.