Aaron Carter talks: Tour, growing up and himself

Aaron Carter
Cover of Aaron Carter

There’s only one person who wants candy, beat Shaq (earlier this month Shaq actually beat him), accidentally had a house party — and sang about all of it. That’s right people, the 90s are coming back in full force, and much like 90s kids, they’re all grown up.

Saturday, March 30, 90’s heart throb Aaron Carter will be playing a matinee show at The Aggie for “The After Party” tour, a name that comes from his album released in 2000, “Aaron’s Party (Come Get It).”

After taking a ten-year hiatus from music, Aaron said he got the tour jitters and spirit back.

“It was like me being creative and thinking about how much fun I had with ‘Aaron’s Party,’ I thought it’d be cool to keep the party going,” Carter said.

As for a new album, Carter sees it as imperative to release one during the tour. When that will be, however, is still in the works.

“I definitely didn’t wait this long to not realease an album while I’m on tour. I don’t intend to be off of tour ever,” Carter said. “It’s not going to be much different. It will still be theme songs and really amped, fun, high energy songs that are really fun to perform, you know. It’s gonna be just the grown up version of me.”

Fans can expect Aaron to be singing all the songs that they’ve ever heard him do, including favorites like “I Want Candy” and “How I Beat Shaq,” accompanied by two dancers from MTV’s show “America’s Best Dance Crew.”

The pop star, who is now 25, hopes to appeal to wide audiences but wants to continue “just being (him)self.”

“The range of my fans go from now being 12 years old, actually younger than that, to girls that bought my album and (had) me be the first album they’ve listened to,” Carter said. “Still very young fan base that I see I have to keep that into consideration.”

“I’m not going to really try to do anything for any demographic; I’m just going to be myself,” Carter said.

With a click, anyone can find out that Carter has dated other child stars such as Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff (at the same time, apparently) and Amanda Bynes, and was in rehab during 2011.

“That’s not everything, me dating Lindsay, that’s not everything,” Carter said. “For me, I don’t pay attention. I don’t live my life vicariously through myself.”

“I don’t really look back, I just look forward,” Carter said. “If people are entertained by the crazy sh*t that I do then whatever.”

Carter describes the transition from a child star into a more mature musician as a difficult process.

“Child stars that turn into adult stars, they have to make this transition from 17 years old where everything falls onto your lap to eighteen, and if you’re not taught correctly you have to go through experience to figure it out and how you do it as a man,” Carter said. “That’s what I had to do. My parents didn’t each me about the industry.”

However, according to Carter, his parents did teach him how to use strength to the best of his abilities.

“It’s a hard life, you really have to have some strength and courage to do this. Because there’s a lot of times where it can be discouraging. You feel like you’re not going to go anywhere but you have to stay driven,” Carter said.

As for 20 years down the road, Carter hopes to be growing up and still performing.

“I don’t want to be doing things that are unrealistic. It’s not likely I’ll be bouncing around on stage killing myself, but maybe I will be,” Carter said. “I’m a crazy guy and I just kind of go with the flow of things. Macklemore looks like he’s about 45* and he’s rapping and doing his thing, so I don’t know.”

*Macklemore is actually 29 years old according to Wikipedia.

Entertainment reporter and student life beat reporter Bailey Constas (@BaileyLiza) can be reached at entertainment@collegian.com