Third annual Holiday Gala at University Center for the Arts

This weekend virtually every student in the music department will be in the Griffin Concert Hall for the third annual Holiday Gala.

From the Chamber Choir to the Jazz Band, all facets of CSU’s music will be represented at the performance. This year they will be featuring all types of music — both religious and traditional secular holiday music.

Carrie Care, the publicity coordinator for the UCA, said that while they have been connecting the Gala with other holiday events, this weekend is specifically a treat involving the marching band.

“Each year our marching band goes to Denver for the Parade of Lights, but the day or two before that, they do a preview in Fort Collins,” Care said.

Care said that this year the timing of the parade now coincides with the Holiday Gala.

“Come to the parade preview at 6 p.m., and then come in for hot chocolate and cookies before 7:30 when the Gala will start,” Care said.

Working with CSU Alumni in Denver, the show will take place at 7 p.m. at the Trinity United Methodist Church on Broadway.

“It is new and very exciting thing for us to do this year,” Care said. “Anything that travels is certainly a good educational experience.”

Going on the road and “being a professional musician,” according to Care, “is the musician’s bread and butter.”

To keep the show moving between sets, Santa Claus will be the MC for the night.

“We do usually have a special host, we have a very good Santa Claus host,” Care explained.

“People love it, we tell silly Christmas jokes and snowman jokes, it’s just really bantering with the audience and giving them a little entertainment,” said Tom Kres, program manager for the music department and this year’s Santa for the event.

Kres said that the Gala is the best way for the community to see the music department’s potential.

“We don’t do another thing like it in the year,” Kres said. “It’s like the best of what we have to give.”

According to Care the show usually sells out every performance, filling up the 500 seats in the Griffin Hall.

“It’s not a traditional concert,” Care said. “We have an MC, we have fun, we have great music centered around holidays.”

Emily Campbell, a fourth year triple major in apparel merchandising, business and theatre, is a member of the University Chorus. Campbell has been a part of the chorus for three years after a friend of hers recruited her.

“It was a one credit class, and I love to sing. What’s a better opportunity than that?” Cambell said.

The chorus will be singing Feast of Carols as well as Hallelujah.

“I think it’s the best way to put together all the types of music that CSU offers and its holiday music that brings everyone together,” Cambell said. “It’s a great way to showcase the different talents and variety we have.”

More information can be found at www.central.colosate.edu.