Fierce Bad Rabbit celebrates new album “The Maestro and the Elephant” in Road 34

In the music industry, sometimes the bright lights of fame put a band’s hometown in the shadows. This is not the case for local Fort Collins band Fierce Bad Rabbit, who celebrate the success of their internationally-known music in the place they call home.

Tomorrow night at Road 34, the band will perform a Kickstarter afterparty for their fans who donated to the production of their newest album, “The Maestro and the Elephant.” Last year, they were voted best band in Fort Collins by CSU students.

139 - Fierce Bad Rabbit
139 – Fierce Bad Rabbit (Photo credit: Jester Jay Music)

The band asked for support to raise $10,000, which would cover 30 percent of the cost to finalize the production of the album, set to release on Dec. 31 of this year.

The new album offered a lot of firsts for FBR.

“We’re more mature as a band and more collected,” said lead vocalist Chris Anderson.

Viola player and supporting vocalist Alana Rolfe hinted at some “rock star” guest musicians on the new album. It is also the first time all four band members have contributed to writing music, according to Rolfe.

“You can have a song and it sounds like you, but you put it into the collaboration phase and it sounds like us,” Rolfe said.

Drummer Max Barcelow said that the differences in lyrics between him and Anderson made the collaboration process interesting.

“From day one I have had so much fun being in the band because I can get away with so much very technically,” he said. “I’ve never done the lead of a band and had to write songs, so all my songs are primarily blues or folk grounded. Chris had a vision on how to electrify it.”

Barcelow, who is completing his business and Spanish degree through CSU’s online Continuing Education program, would someday like to start a band where he plays bass.

Barcelow also said that one of the band’s goals was to have a European tour next year.

Although the band has gained international recognition, they use their roots as a source of inspiration and motivation to do the next big thing.

“There’s a nice grassroots where we’re at. But we’re well adapted now and we put a lot of our time to sound good for all the situations we’re in. It’s a rollercoaster,” Anderson said. “There’s a growth you get in that and we wanted to capture it.”

Rolfe said that the band has played for audiences of two to 3,000 people in their career.

“Sometimes it’s good to go to a show where there are only a few people because you get to know them,” she said.

While the new album has almost all new music, the style itself culminates the band’s past efforts.

“The music has taken a lot of different shapes. It reminds me of if Modest Mouse had a music baby with Coldplay. It definitely has a pop sensibility, but it has a very indie, grassroots, rock soul to it,” Barcelow said.

Sour Boy, Bitter Girl will be the opening act. Doors open at 9 p.m. with a charge of $8.