Fifth annual Fort Collins Chile Fest takes place this Saturday

The typical Texas Chili cook-offs are one thing, but the Annual Fort Collins Chile Fest is a whole other animal of spicy proportions.

The fifth annual Chile Fest will take place this Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. at the Museo de las Tres Colonias on 10th Street in Fort Collins.

“There’ll be mariachis, acoustic music, a puppet show, a jalapeño eating contest, food and a chili contest,” said Betty Aragon, the chairwoman of the Museo.

Parking will be near City Services at 625 9th St. A shuttle will run between the Museo and the parking lot all day.

“I love the contest,” said Irene Romsa, the outreach services manager for the Poudre River Library. “I love seeing who can take the hottest chili. My son tried last year, thinking he was going to be eating a bean chili, but instead he got this pepper. It was actually very hilarious.”

But as the Outreach Services Manager, Romsa’s role goes further than that of a spectator.

“The Poudre River Library is supporting this by bringing bilingual puppetry and Spanish singers,”
she said. “It’s important to us to partner for community events and support the community in expressing its uniqueness. Sept. 15 to Oct. 15th is Hispanic Heritage month, and it’s an important time for people with Hispanic heritage in our community. I know at least six countries have their Independence Day in that time, including Mexico and my own country, Guatemala.”

“It all pertains to the culture, and it all pertains to the harvest of the chili,” Aragon said.  “We have so many people who pick chili, who harvest potatoes, who harvest all the fruit and vegetables.

We hope to bring awareness of the tradition. We celebrate bridging the gap, and we enjoy and celebrate the tradition and culture.”

The Museo will be open for tours during this event.  For more information, contact Betty Aragon at (970) 412-4536.