Modern Metal and FotoFest exhibitions at UCA

They say a picture is worth a thousand words; and that will most definitely be the case when you visit the University Center for the Arts this weekend to tour the “FotoFest Discoveries” exhibition.

At this exhibition the audience will experience a trip around the globe as they view art from photographers throughout the world.

You will find the beautifully captured narratives of Black Forest hunters in Germany, devout worshipers of Israel, long lost souls of Columbia, even some familiar traditions of the United States.

“FotoFest Discoveries” was established in Houston in 1983. It was created to give photographic artists from a variety of backgrounds the opportunity to share their story with the world.

Linda Frickman, the UCA museum director, said she is honored to host the “FotoFest Discoveries” at CSU for the first time and hopes that it will soon become a tradition.

The preparation for an exhibit like this one is typically a very intricate two year process.

Frickman describes this exhibition as “a chance to see into worlds completely different than our own.”

“This is an opportunity to appreciate and really empathize with different cultures,” Frickman said.

But the fun doesn’t stop there — not only will you be able to explore the world, but you can also go back in time with the “Modern Metal: Functional Design for Life” exhibit, also in the University Art Museum.

This exhibition will take you back to the early 20th Century through a collection of extraordinarily designed everyday objects.

CSU art professors Haley Bates and Eleanor Moseman have put together the exhibit of household appliances such as silverware sets, cups, bowls, hair dryers and chairs. All are

Deborah Butterfield

completely made of metal.

The pieces date as far back as the late 1800s to the mid-1900s.

“The amazing thing about these pieces is that they were actually used at one time, and you can actually see the wear on some of them,” Moseman said.

These pieces were borrowed from the Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art in Denver.

“The main motivation [for this exhibit] was because there was such a gem of a collection right there in Denver, but very few people know about the Kirkland collection … we thought this material in particular would be a fine example to give the students and the general audience an introduction to the Kirkland,” Moseman explained.

Co-curators, Bates and Moseman, along with museum director Frickman emphasize that the main idea behind these exhibits is to present the opportunity to appreciate things we take for granted every day.

The exhibits are open to the public and free for anyone wishing to take advantage of a rare and beneficial event.

“What we really want to get across to people is an appreciation for transformation over time. It’s a really cool show,” Bates said.