Solve a murder at “The Dinner Detective” in Fort Collins

An attractive dinner setting
An attractive dinner setting (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Everyone is a suspect. No one is safe. Clues are bountiful. The full bar is flowing. Dinner plates keep arriving.

Welcome to “The Dinner Detective.” This interactive murder mystery dinner show is the largest of its kind in all of America.

According to Executive Producer Kurt Terrio, the cast includes improv actors that intermix with the rest of the audience. The objective is to root out who the “killer” is and solve the mystery.

“All of the different scripts we use are based on actual cold cases,” Terrio said. “We’re a lot more of a contemporary murder mystery — no cheesy costumes, no melodrama, it all takes place modern day.”

Terrio explained that the premise of the show is that everyone is a suspect, and not until the very end of the show do people find out who the killer is, or even who the actors are.

Audience members are framed, both knowingly and unknowingly, to help confuse things and keep the show going, Terrio said.

“The Dinner Detective” just began its second year of showings in Fort Collins and has locations in Denver and Colorado Springs as well. Other show locations include Arizona, California, Illinois, Oregon, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin.

“It’s really a unique form of entertainment,” Terrio said. “It’s a little more hip than your standard theater experience.”

Tickets are available on www.dinnerdetective.com for $59. The price may seem fairly steep, but it includes a four-course meal and the show.

The dinner menu includes hors d’oeuvres, salad, a main entrée choice of chicken confit, pork tenderloin or tomato pasta, dessert and coffee. A full bar is also available at the show.

Living Social and Groupon deals will be available for the show, according to Terrio, and college student discounts are often offered at the box office.

“It’s a great place to go and see a show but still be able to be social with the people you go with,” Terrio said. “Everybody at the table pours over clues and talks and there’s time for visiting during dinner.”

Terrio said he believes the show lives and breathes by the younger generation and that the more people under 30 that attend the show, the more fun and wild it can get.

“Because it can get pretty wild,” Terrio said.