GOLDRUSH of bands come to Denver

There are two different types of deer piles. The first is the obscure notion of physically piling the woodland creature, the second is a music venue.

It’s where the GOLDRUSH music festival will take place this year, an underground festival put on by some of Denver’s best known music bloggers.

This is the second year that Crawford Philleo — of music blog Tome to the Weather Machine — has put on this festival, which was held at Denver’s rock club The Hi-Dive Last year.

“The festival started last year when Ryan Pjesky of Magic Teepee (another music blog) approached me and my friend Jake Martin, of Speaker Snacks, about hosting a festival where each of us could equally curate the artists,” Philleo said in an email to the Collegian.

“This year we wanted to scale things back a little bit so we could focus more on the music and the artists we have invited to play,” Philleo said.

“The music will be a diverse range of styles from rock, dance, noise, ambient and drone. My friend Curt Heiner will be doing live film and video projections, and we’ll have the whole area decorated with lanterns and old photos on the walls taken and developed by local artist CJ Irvin,” Philleo said. “It’s going to look amazing in there, and sound even better!”

The festival will feature many local bands as well as some groups not native to Colorado.

“The bands were pulled from a pool of some of our recent favorites in the world of experimental and progressive music.”

Local Fort Collins band Kick Majestic will be performing, as well as M. Sage — the solo project of Kick Majestic frontman and CSU graduate Matt Sage.

“It will be interesting to play [Kick Majestic] stuff, which is much louder and more in your face, much more energy, and then follow it with a set of really slow, peaceful ambient solo music,” Sage said. “The two are so different, so it should be a blast.”

Sage is also looking forward to catching up with other local artists in the experimental scene.

“It is great to catch up/hang out with other weirdos in the CO/national ‘experimental’ music scene.”

California group the Former Selves will make the trek up to Colorado to play thanks to the state’s reputation in the underground music scene.

“It seems like Denver is a city most bands/musicians play on cross country and regional tours, and I’ve heard wonderful things from friends who have played in there,” said Paul Skomsvold, frontman for the Former Selves. “I think it’ll be a good change of pace…I’m looking forward to sharing my music with a new crowd.”