Unlocking the Digital Treasure: A Dive into Cryptocurrency Exchanges

Ever wondered, amid all this digital currency buzz, what is the value of Ethereum today? It's a question that sparks the curiosity of many,...

CSU cross country to face a tough field at Nuttycombe

This weekend, the Colorado State cross country team will compete with some of the best that the NCAA has to offer, as the Rams are headed to Madison, Wisconsin, for the 11th annual Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational.

men run
Colorado State University men’s cross country team runs one of the five-mile repeats they completed in practice at Grandview Cemetery Sept. 27. (Anna von Pechmann | Collegian)

The Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational, named after Ed Nuttycombe, the most successful men’s coach in Big Ten Conference history, is projected to be one of the toughest meets in the nation besides the NCAA meet.

As one of the best collegiate meets in the country, Nuttycombe attracts top talent, and this year is no different. From the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association National Coaches’ Poll, 19 of the top 30 teams will be participating. Additionally, six of the top 10 women’s and men’s teams will be competing.

The most notable teams in the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational on the men’s side are No. 1 Northern Arizona University, No. 6 Iowa State University and No. 7 University of Oregon. On the women’s side, the notables are the newly ranked No. 1 University of Arkansas, Stanford University and University of New Mexico, both tied at fourth overall in the rankings.

Unfortunately for the Rams, they recently fell out of their No. 13 ranking but still received some votes in this week’s poll.

The Rams will aim to build off their successful week at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs Open, where both Thomas Chaston and Lauren Offerman placed first in their respective races.

Colorado State University’s Thomas Chaston (582) runs a 5K in Cheyenne, Wyoming, on Friday, Sept. 6. (Colin Shepherd | Collegian)

Chaston’s performance earned national recognition, as he was named USTFCCCA’s Athlete of the Week for NCAA Division I men. Chaston is the second cross country athlete in CSU history to receive the award. In addition to the national award, Chaston also earned Mountain West’s Cross Country Peak Athlete of the Week.

CSU will look for similar performances from Chaston and Offerman in the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational. In the last two seasons, the women’s team has struggled significantly, placing 29th and 21st, while the men’s team has placed sixth both times.

The meet will be held on Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course and is set for Friday, Oct. 18 at 11 a.m.

Sergio Santistevan can be reached at sports@collegian.com or on Twitter @TheRealsSergio.