CSU softball beats Fresno State for first series win since March

Junior Ashlie Ortega stacks cups to practice her hand-eye coordination before starting practice on Tuesday.

After struggling the last two weekends, the CSU softball team bounced back to second place in the Mountain West with their first series win since March.

The Rams (20-19, 6-3 MW) came into this weekend not only looking to take over second place from (25-20, 7-5 MW) Fresno State, but also determine their future for the remaining weeks of tight conference play. CSU reached their goal winning two out of three games against the Bulldogs.

CSU won the first two games Saturday 3-2 and 7-4, respectively, and lost the Sunday finale 5-0.

Taking the lead early in the first, the Rams showed no sign of giving up another close battle at the plate. In the bottom of the seventh inning, the CSU softball team clinched their first win of the series with a hard hit into the outfield.

“It was a pitchers duel,” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “We played great defense and caused mistakes that allowed us to take advantage of them. I think after the win in game one, we felt like we had some breathing room going into game two.”

The highlight of game two for the Rams came off the bat of sophomore Haley David. Down in the count, David hit a high in side pitch over the right field fence for a grand slam bringing CSU to their second win of the weekend.

Because CSU has worked on maintaining a patient pace at the plate, game three was a step back for the Rams.

CSU only managed two hits in the loss and struck out nine times.

“I think the key thing to take out of this weekend is that we are going to take away the determination of a win,” Fisher said. “I think in this sport, when you control your own destiny … it is a good feeling.”

CSU is headed into yet another tough weekend of conference play tied with San Diego State for the conference lead. With first place within the Rams grasp, the CSU softball team must continue winning series with three more weeks of play against Boise State, San Diego State and New Mexico.

“There is a lot of conference softball left, and anything can happen,” Fisher said.

Up next in conference play, CSU will travel to Boise to take on the Broncos. Currently ranked last in MW play, Boise State is not to be taken lightly as they just took two out of three games against first place San Diego State.

Softball Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.