CSU football fans letting Rams down not buying Rocky Mountain Showdown tickets

Rocky Mountain Showdown
Rocky Mountain Showdown (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

To most CSU students, receiving less than 50 percent in a class would be a complete failure.

Why then, should we as a student body be satisfied with filling less than 50 percent of our allotted seats at next weekend’s Rocky Mountain Showdown?

It was reported Wednesday that only 3,000 of CSU’s 10,000 student tickets have been sold for the season opener against CU-Boulder, which with less than a week before the game is a tragedy. The athletic department has not released the exact sales, but did say it was closer to half.

That’s still a failing grade as far as I’m concerned. This is one of our biggest rivalry games of the year, and a season opener to boot. Students should be lining up to get tickets to see the game, and goodness knows that kind of support can tip an evenly balanced game for either team.

Last season Buff fans far outnumbered Ram fans at the game, which undoubtedly helped swing the momentum in their favor.

At this point students have five days to buy tickets so time is running low. I understand waiting to finalize plans before buying, but for a game of this magnitude students should be willing to make some advanced plans.

The game will be the Rams’ first game under the leadership of new coach Jim McElwain, which at the very least is worth seeing a new-look CSU team.

Yes the team hasn’t been to a bowl or over .500 since 2007, but they deserve the benefit of the doubt under a new coaching staff led by a man who won two National Championship rings at Alabama, running an offense that produced the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram.

McElawain’s offense relies a lot on the running game mixed in with timely play action passes, which plays perfectly into CSU’s strengths at running back and offensive line.

That’s not to say that CSU will transform into an offensive juggernaut because we simply don’t have the same athletes as Alabama, but the change in offensive mindset should inject some enthusiasm into a CSU team that ranked 87th in total offense last year.

The Rocky Mountain Showdown does cost money to attend ($25 for a ticket, travel expenses, etc.) as opposed to free student tickets at Hughes Stadium and a free shuttle from campus. This generally sends any college student running away, but seeing your team play in a professional stadium against its biggest in-state rival is more than worth working another four hours this week to recoup the cost.

You’ll make more money, but you only have a limited number of chances to be in a college football student section going absolutely insane. Ask yourself: which will I regret more? Spending a few dollars and a beautiful fall day in Denver? Or missing precious opportunities to support your fellow student athletes and come together as a student body?

Even if CSU loses, even if it’s a really rough game, the trip is worth it because the Rocky Mountain Showdown is about more than football.

It’s about feeling a sense of pride and dedication to your university. Apathy runs rampant at CSU. The school puts on a huge number of speakers and events and barely anyone shows up.

When coaches have to write open letters to students asking them to attend big games, there’s a fundamental disconnect between what people are really cheering for. You’re supporting your university and fellow Rams in the most direct possible way. How could anyone want to waste that opportunity?

Because face it, you’re only here for four years (or five if you decide to take a victory lap) and you’re the only one to blame if you regret not showing up.