Medical marijuana shops to open in Illinois

English: Medical marijuana neon sign at a disp...
English: Medical marijuana neon sign at a dispensary on Ventura Boulevard in Los Angeles, California, U.S.A. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In the next two weeks, residents of Illinois will begin to notice local dispensaries open up for business. The state has three more important steps to take before the medical marijuana market can take off, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Before the crop can legally be sold, the state must test inventory, dispensaries must verify patient registration and users still have to receive their ID cards.

The marijuana has already been grown, and four laboratories are open and certified to test the product. Now it is only a matter of days.

Friday, 3,200 patients will be mailed identification cards. Dispensaries will use a statewide database to confirm a patient’s registration, and to verify their medical card.

“We’re fully ready,” said Ben Kovler, co-owner of Green Thumb Industries. “We have finished product ready to provide to patients.”

The state has reviewed 60 applications, but so far only six licenses have been issued to future dispensary owners. Growers at cultivation centers are also applying for licenses. Out of 22 applications submitted, three have been approved.

Illinois law restricts marijuana patients from smoking or ingesting marijuana in public, even on the premises of a dispensary. To read more about the dispensaries opening up in the next couple of weeks, check out the full article published by the Chicago Tribune.