Study ties marijuana use to development of prediabetes

Capelli D'Angelo

English: The blue circle is the global symbol ...
The blue circle is the global symbol for diabetes, introduced by the International Diabetes Federation with the aim of giving diabetes a common identity, supporting existing efforts to raise awareness of diabetes and placing the diabetes epidemic firmly in the public spotlight. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

In a recent study published in Diabetologia, doctors have determined that the use of marijuana in young adults increases the risk of prediabetes later in life.

Prediabetes is a health condition that can eventually lead to Type 2 diabetes if not treated. Initially the disease shows no symptoms, making it difficult for doctors to treat before the effects are permanent.

According to the American Diabetes Association, people with prediabetes have blood glucose levels that are above average, but not high enough to be considered diabetes.

The study, Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA), found that people who used marijuana at least 100 times as young adults were 40 percent more likely to develop prediabetes by the time they were middle-aged. The group of people sampled averaged 32 years in age.

“We tried to capture…marijuana use in young adulthood, when you would assume it would be the highest,” said Michael P. Banks, PhD, from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. “It is unclear how marijuana use could place an individual at increased risk for prediabetes, yet not diabetes.”

To learn more about these health risks read the full story.