What to Pack for a Day Hike

Sponsored Content

During these uncertain times, you may feel the need to get out of the house, take your dog and go for a hike in Colorado’s beautiful mountains. If you’re planning to hike for more than a couple hours, remember to pack accordingly and always hike with at least one other person.

Backpack

Use a backpack that is durable enough for your hike and big enough to fit everything you are packing.

Water bottles 

Depending on how long you’re hiking, you may want to bring more than one water bottle with water in it. It’s better to have extra water than not enough.

Food/snacks

Again, this depends on how long you’re planning to hike for. But it’s usually a good idea to pack some granola bars, trail mix and any other foods that will provide you with needed nutrition. 

Extra layers

Anyone from Colorado can tell you how quickly the weather can change. To be prepared, pack extra layers like a fleece jacket, rain jacket or both.

Hat

Wearing something like a baseball hat will help keep the sun and rain out of your face. For colder weather, you may want to opt for a beanie or hat built for the cold.

Gloves/mittens

Always handy to have some warmth for your hands if you’re climbing in Colorado.

Light source

Having a flashlight, headlight, or something similar is important in case you find yourself still hiking as it gets darker. You will also want something extra than just your flashlight on your phone.

Power bank

There’s nothing quite like being in the mountains and realizing that your phone is almost dead. Keeping a power bank will help make sure you always have contact with other people.

Small first aid kit

Hopefully you won’t need to use it, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Accidents can happen, especially if there’s still snow and ice on the ground.