What You Need to Know This Winter

Sponsored Content

By Laura Studley

SNOW REMOVAL:

• Get that salt and shovel ready. Fort Collins requires all residents to shovel and remove snow and ice from the sidewalk adjacent to their property as well as the sidewalk across from the driveway. Code Compliance Inspectors enforce this regulation and hire snow removal contractors to shovel for you at your own expense. You are required to shovel within 24 hours of the end of a storm.
  • The Streets Department will make an effort to clear sidewalks that have been covered by city plows at no cost to the property owner.
  • Fort Collins does not plow all streets unless they are a direct threat to traffic patterns within that Priority class of street. There are 4 Priority streets. Priorities 1-3 are routinely plowed and de-iced, however Priority 4 are residential streets. To provide service for these would be costly and considering the low traffic volume, the city will typically hold off on clearing these streets.
  • You can park your car on a snow route, but when the snow begins to collect, the city encourages you to move your car so the snow plows have an easier path to clear.

THINGS YOU SHOULD PROBABLY WEAR WHILE BIKING DURING THE WINTER:

• A hat or earmuffs and a scarf to protect the head and neck area from the cold
  • Proper shoes
  • Warm gloves
  • Layers
  • Lights and reflectors on your bike

PARKS OPEN DURING THE WINTER:

• City Park
  • Edora Park
  • Fossil Creek
  • Lee Martinez
  • Rolland Moore
  • Spring Canyon
  • Twin Silo
  • Warren