Singles won’t be painting the town red tonight

red paints
red paints (Photo credit: jimmiehomeschoolmom)

Love will be in the air tonight in Fort Collins. Couples young and old will ambulate around the Old Town streets, indulging in Rodizio Grill’s “Together Forever Menu” and devouring the Melting Pot’s “Romance Packages,” and maybe even trying Pinot’s Palette “Love is in the Air” special.

But what about singles?

“I’m pretty cynical when it comes to Valentine’s Day,” said junior biomedical science major Maryanne Miko Flasik. “My plan for Valentine’s Day is to avoid all the lovey-dovey couples parading around campus. I think the idea of it is sweet, to show your partner how much you care and love them. However, I am not a fan of how commercialized it is. It’s a great day to be a florist though!”

The commercialized nature of Valentine’s Day has led some singles, like English major Zach Trabona, to discount the day entirely.

“I plan on going about my day-to-day business and not acknowledging the holiday at all,” Trabona said. “I think it’s a pointless consumer holiday. You shouldn’t need a day to remind you to love the people around you. That should be every day.”

Some other singles have a rather humorous perspective of the holiday.

“I am planning on attending school and watching the NBA games with my roommates and Manti Te’o’s girlfriend” said junior business major Warren McEnulty. “Really it’s just another Thursday.”

Leena Hibbert, a senior art major currently in a relationship, echoes McEnulty’s sentiments. This Valentine’s Leena will be doing homework and studying for tests. She emphasized that all is needed is something simple and sweet to show you care.

“I like to celebrate it because it’s an opportunity to show my loved ones I care about them,” Leena said. “You can do it any day, but why would you miss out on showing affection to your loved ones on the holliday established upon that very sentiment.”

There aren’t many events in town tonight where singles can congregate, but this doesn’t seem to vex most, especially since many are content being the loneliest number.

“I think that I have less to balance than those who are in relationships, so I do have more time for school and hanging out with friends,” said senior biomedical science major Tiffany Ly. “I also have less stress in the boy drama department. I’m enjoying my time being single and I’m sure that once I enter a relationship, I’ll enjoy that time too.”

However, for those with singles’ pride and an anti-Valentine’s Day sentiment, there’s the recently established (but unofficial) Singles Awareness Day (SAD) on Friday.

According to singlesawareness.com, “In response to the huge push by retailers for us to buy all of their candy, flowers and greeting cards February 15 has been declared Singles Awareness Day! This is the day that all of the single people can proudly stand up and show that it is OKAY to be single!”

The day is meant to give the unpartnered a chance to get together with others in similar situations, exchange gifts and just relish the single life.

Whether they’ll be celebrating SAD or not, those interviewed seem to agree that there isn’t any reason to be despondent on this cold February weekday just because they are single.

“My advice to other singles would be to not focus on that fact that you’re single on Valentine’s Day,” Ly said. “Just because you’re not in a relationship doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world. So instead of moping around, go out with great friends and have fun! Enjoy this season of singleness, take advantage of all the things you can do because you’re single, and take this time to appreciate the relationships you do have.”

Collegian Writer Alex Beyer can be reached at news@collegian.com.