UPDATE: Suspect in custody after potential hostage situation in west Fort Collins

Update: 5:00 p.m.

According to Rita Davis, a spokesperson for Fort Collins police services, at approximately 12:45 p.m. Fort Collins police received a report of a physical disturbance at 812 Tyler St.

Davis said a female ran out of the back of the house screaming and a man came outside and pulled her back in. Police then made repeated attempts to contact the household, which were unsuccessful. Police then contacted the SWAT team and negotiation team, both of which arrived on the scene at approximately 2 p.m., according to bystanders.

The SWAT and negotiation teams tried to make contact and were unsuccessful again, Davis said. At approximately 3:50 p.m., police deployed a diversionary device which, according to Davis, makes a loud noise with the intention of stunning or catching someone off guard.

Davis said the female then exited the house carrying an infant. Police then entered the house and retrieved a toddler, and brought the male suspect out of the house.

“It appears that no one was injured and and everybody came out of the house on their own free will,” Davis said.

The suspect is in custody and the investigation is active according to Davis.

[ORIGINAL STORY]

Fort Collins police and SWAT team members are responding to a potential hostage situation in a west Fort Collins neighborhood.

Police have blocked traffic and surrounded a residence in the 800 block of Tyler Street.

At approximately 3:40 p.m., a Collegian reporter on the scene heard a loud explosion and observed smoke near the front of the house.

Approximately 10 minutes later., SWAT team members walked out of the house with a man who appeared to be in handcuffs.

This story is developing. Stay with the Collegian for further updates.  

Senior Reporter Sean Meeds contributed reporting to this story.