Ram Ride director Becky Ewing steps down

For the third time in a year, the Associated Students of CSU must find a new director for RamRide.

Becky Ewing, the director since January, has stepped down in order to focus on a legislative internship offered through the political science department, according to the ASCSU Chief of Staff Robert Duran.

Ewing announced her decision to step down on Oct. 31 at the weekly ASCSU Senate meeting. She will remain the director for the rest of the semester to train a replacement, but stop her duties before spring semester begins.

“The goal of announcing this opening now is so that we can start the interviewing process now and still have time for Becky to train the new director,” said Duran. “We want it to be as smooth of a transition as possible.”

RamRide has recently had a lot of turnover in terms of leadership within the program. Ewing was the third director appointed in one year, coming into the position last January.

Applications for the position will be available until Nov. 9, said Duran and all students are encouraged to apply. To find the new director, Duran, Ewing and ASCSU President Regina Martel will interview applicants for the position.

“First we will look at people who have experience with RamRide or ASCSU, but it all depends on the interview process and who we feel will do the best job,” Duran said. “If it’s someone who has no experience with either, but is highly qualified, we aren’t going to not give them the job.”

According to Ewing, the new director doesn’t need to have prior experience with RamRide, but needs to care about the program.

“We are really looking for someone who will be passionate and dedicated,” Ewing said. “It can be a very stressful job, so you really need that passion to keep you going. That’s the biggest priority.”

The new director will also need to be someone who will be in it for the long haul, Ewing said.

“RamRide really needs a director who will be there for a few semesters in order to keep the program strong,” she said.

It will be a bittersweet departure for the outgoing director.

“The hardest part about taking this internship was my decision to leave RamRide,” Ewing said. “But I’m also excited for what’s coming next.”