CSU SAF Alpha Student Chapter takes second place in national competition

The Society of American Foresters will be presenting the second place prize for Outstanding Student Chapter Award to CSU’s SAF Alpha Student Chapter this month in Spokane, Washington.

CSU was chosen among 80 student chapters across the nation for their accomplishments and representation of the SAF mission and values. Some of the chapter’s accomplishments include over 800 trees planted and $2,000 raised in firewood fundraising. They also participated in events such as the Colorado State Forest Service Forestry Fair, building the CSU Homecoming Bonfire, and holiday tree cutting and deliveries to families in need.

“This club has a great legacy of leadership, involvement and dedication to the forestry field, and I am so proud of this amazing team of students and am pleased to know that they are the future of the forestry profession,” said CSU SAF alpha student chapter faculty advisor, Jamie Dahl.

Much of the chapter’s success is being credited to former chapter chair Rachel Owens and CSU alum Tara Costanzo. Owens, who graduated CSU with a Bachelor of Science in forest management and now works as a forester for the U.S. Forest Service in Boulder, credits much of her current success to her involvement in the program.

“I have a lot of of pride in my involvement with CSU’s SAF alpha student center, and wanted the club to be recognized for its dedicated members who always go above and beyond to support the forestry field,” she said. “Being a member and officer of this organization allowed me to apply knowledge from the classroom to real-world experiences and develop life-long connections that have made a valuable impact on my career.”