CSU Board of Governors passes resolution in favor of on campus stadium

Following two hours of mostly negative public comment, the CSU System Board of Governors unanimously passed a resolution approving university President Tony Frank’s proposal to move forward in fundraising for an on-campus stadium.

Citing his Monday e-mail to students, faculty and staff detailing his decision, Frank made the case that the stadium is what’s best for the university down the road, something board member Ed Haselden concurred was in line with the board’s mission.

Despite unanimous consent toward the resolution, some board members still expressed reservations about the proposal.

“I’m a little bit skeptical moving forward,” said board member Mary Lou Makepeace during the meeting. “… our primary message is academics.”

Per the resolution, Frank has two years to raise more than half of the estimated $250 million necessary to fund the project through private donations. Brett Anderson, the university’s vice president for Advancement, said he’s optimistic that the fundraising will be a success.

“I feel very confident that we can make this happen,” Anderson said in a press conference following the meeting.

Watch Collegian.com and tomorrow’s print edition for updates.